Railroad Forums 

• Cynwyd branch during car shortage

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1398118  by bikentransit

Since the Cynwyd branch has been temporarily suspended, has SEPTA run any pilot trains to maintain the plant, or is everything rusting away? Shame that they couldn't spare 2 single cars to maintain service.
 #1398222  by SCB2525

Considering it only has 3 stations, sees peak-only trips (save a single mid-day) on weekdays only, terminates at Suburban, has a maximum speed of only 25MPH, it does fine.

Gee, I wonder why it doesn't do better?
 #1398232  by JeffK

STrRedWolf wrote:This looks and sounds more like it'll be better served as light rail or even trolley service ...
Conversion of the Cynwyd line and one or both CH lines has been suggested many times, and probably could make operational sense. The barrier is that under current FRA safety rules any "transitized" line would have to be physically severed from the rest of the RRD.

I'm not sure if it's still the case, but I'm fairly certain that rules about crashworthiness also require SEPTA to run a minimum of two-car RRD consists at all times, even if ridership is only enough for a single car.
 #1398243  by dcipjr

I'm not sure if it's still the case, but I'm fairly certain that rules about crashworthiness also require SEPTA to run a minimum of two-car RRD consists at all times, even if ridership is only enough for a single car.
Up until the shortage, I would routinely see 1-car Cynwyd dinkies rolling into 30th St, so I don't think this is the case.
 #1398274  by JeffK

dcipjr wrote:Up until the shortage, I would routinely see 1-car Cynwyd dinkies rolling into 30th St, so I don't think this is the case.
Thanks for the info. I've mostly been using the NHSL for the last several years and confess to being a bit out of date re RRD operations.
 #1398293  by BuddCar711

jackintosh11 wrote:The Cynwyd line could be pretty easily connected to the 10 trolley. Use double ended cars on the line to avoid having to build a loop in Cynwyd.
If the Cynwyd line would be converted to trolley, wouldn't make sense to restore it to Ivy Ridge?
 #1398304  by JeffK

jackintosh11 wrote:The Cynwyd line could be pretty easily connected to the 10 trolley. Use double ended cars on the line to avoid having to build a loop in Cynwyd.
BuddCar711 wrote:If the Cynwyd line would be converted to trolley, wouldn't make sense to restore it to Ivy Ridge?
I agree conversion would be a great idea, but I'm not sure it would be a slam-dunk:
* The line would have to be re-tracked because the trolley is PA gauge (5' - 2.5")
* The Manayunk bridge is now part of a recreational trail. Right or wrong, trails quickly develop their own constituencies that can be very difficult to reverse. IIRC only one rail trail in the country has ever been reverted.

Neither's a stopper by any means, but given other projects' lugubrious timelines they could stretch out any conversion for decades :(
 #1398308  by STrRedWolf

JeffK wrote:
BuddCar711 wrote:If the Cynwyd line would be converted to trolley, wouldn't make sense to restore it to Ivy Ridge?
I agree conversion would be a great idea, but I'm not sure it would be a slam-dunk:
* The line would have to be re-tracked because the trolley is PA gauge (5' - 2.5")
* The Manayunk bridge is now part of a recreational trail. Right or wrong, trails quickly develop their own constituencies that can be very difficult to reverse. IIRC only one rail trail in the country has ever been reverted.

Neither's a stopper by any means, but given other projects' lugubrious timelines they could stretch out any conversion for decades :(
The line now would be more in line with a heavy rail setup similar to the Norristown line... but would be incompatible with the trolley system or even the subway system (different gauges, third rail power).

But isn't there enough clearance between the gauges that you can have both? That way you can run the commuter rail train until you get trolley service fully built, then swap power and the connection on a weekend.