Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1438494  by TCurtin

This is somewhat indirectly a Metro North question but I suppose it's close enough .....When driving past Croton-Harmon about 10:00 AM occasionally I will see an eastbound (NYC bound)CSX freight holding at the north end of the complex. I presume it's waiting for the Metro dispatcher to clear him to go down into NY. Anyway my question is: is that
supposed to be an overnight job but is running late that time of the morning?
 #1438511  by DutchRailnut

Thanks to reorganization in Selkirk trains have been leaving late from that yard, only places the train can be held for recrew would be Poughkeepsie, Beacon , Croton west yard, or Ludlow .
Ludlow would need to be entered via manual switch of track 4 and really tie up railroad .
 #1438557  by Noel Weaver

Often the freight railroads do not plan ahead when a crew is on short time. This is nothing new. I can't see how they can't figure out that a train appraching Croton is or is not going to make it to Oak Point and be governed accordingly. They should be able to get a relief crew up to Croton from Oak Point in two or three hours and not wait untill the train dies on the law and ties up a critical point on the railroad at a bad time. Back in 1983 when the carriers got their wish and a full separation of the passenger and freight operations occurred they have paid a huge price for this one. Now they have to live with their choice.
Noel Weaver
 #1438581  by shlustig

IIRC, the Mets used to have a requirement that if the inbound train (SEOP) had not Dp. CD by 5AM it was held until after the AM rush. This required either a recrew or the use of one of the KD or HM travelling switchers.
 #1438634  by Backshophoss

IF the CSX crews are on "short time",why did the MN RTC's not get the CSX crew to tie up at Croton West Yard instead of stopping
"DEAD" on one of the mainlines thru Harmon? A case of the CSX crews "fudging" their HOS times to the RTC's??
 #1438769  by DutchRailnut

I see no mention of it holding on main , normal move would be to get into west yard at Oscawana and like Steve says hold on 6 but track 4 is not much used for commuter rail so anything is possible.