Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by brnxvill

Sad....I'm sorry but I have a visceral love for these units and hate these images. I also love old airliners and I get the same feeling when seeing vintage 50's era propliners being sliced up in Tucson at the boneyard there...

by Clean Cab

Only the MTA owned SPVs were scrapped. All the CDOT owned ones do continue in service as "Constitution Liners" on Shoreline East trains. The MTA owned cars were not converted into deisel hauled coaches becaused they lacked HEP feed through cables, and the cost would have been too much.

by susquehannaQ

Well glad to say I own my piece of FL9 history. Got to get 2 horns from the locomotives after asking the scrapper if I could take them. Got an EFCO switch plate too. Sad to see those beasts go and these dumb looking Genesis engines taking over.

Q

by Dieter

You got two horns? How can you make them work?

They aren't the original horns from the New Haven. The originals had a much higher-pitched sound than what was put on them during the last rebuild. When was the last rebuild? '87 or '92?

See? It does pay off to be a vulture at a torch party!

As for preserving an SPV, look at it this way. It was Budd technology, perhaps somebody in the future will be able to make it work! I think everything in Transport is worth saving at least one of.

If it was too cost-prohibitive to run HEP lines in the SPV's for coach conversion, how was it practical for CDOT to do the job?

Speaking of travestys and torchings, has anyone noticed the work the graffitti vandals performed to the M's parked at Tarrytown? It was just within the past week, and they look dreadful.

Dieter.

by DutchRailnut

The CDOT (amtrak) SPV's came factory equipped with HEP trainlines and Communications jumpers for use on rear of regular NEC corridor trains. The MNCR units did not as theyt were never intended to be run in locomotive hauled trains.
1 MNCR SPV is preserved at CERM in Williamantic , Ct it was donated to them by CDOT after sitting for years in New Haven.
Two other MNCR's are in use by West Springfield(Mass) Fire Dept Safety train.

by Dieter

Hi Dutch!

But CDOT purchased several of the SPV's for conversion from MN, I thought.

Speaking of neat stuff to get from the Torch Party, it would be neat to get a set of doors from an "M" for the entry to the layout room, wouldn't it?? :-D

Dieter.

by Clean Cab

They bought one and quickly found out that they did not have HEP pass through capabilities, so they dropped the idea. I believe the unit they bought was #292, which sat in Amtak's yard in New Haven for years until it was donated at Dutch Rail Nut said above.

by Clean Cab

I was never a fan of the ill fated FL9ACs, but even I hate to see them cut up and ripped apart. What a sad end for a truly inique engine (the original FL-9 that is!!!)
  by MTASUPT

The following SPV's are on the northend of the Harmon shop getting prepped to be brought out to, I believe Ohio for scrap 298,295,290,299,294,291,297. The scrap part is unconfirmed.

by brnxvill

History will show that we were shortsighted to not just even save the bodies as shells . Cutting these up , at the least, is an artistic loss. These shapes are iconic and our ancestors will see renderings of these machines and will regard them with awe, and will be amazed that we "cut them up for scrap"....

sorry for being sappy but....

by District D RTC

I don't have the number handy (I want to guess 292) but I took a photo years ago (before I started with slides) of a MN (BLUE) SPV which was wearing a CDOT property plate. I later came accross the same property plate while the car sat in Croton. I am wondering, 290-299 (10-cars) were they all MN owned in the begninning or were some financed by CDOT? As I recall all the CDOT SPVs were originally 9xx numbers and were supposed to be exclusively for NHV-HFD-SPG service. (Originally as intended) but I do know they were short lived on AMTK and soon made their way to the DAN (and possibly the Water. I have slides of them in my collection on the DAN, but not on the WATER. I have slides from 1989 of an RDC still on the Water.

--JSW

by DutchRailnut

All 10 Blue SPV's were MTA owned, and delivered with only two axles powered, the extra driveshafts got deliverd on a palet to storeroom.
all 10 cars were sold to CDOT in or about 1992 for conversion to Constitution liners but only 292 went to New Haven, other 9 cars got brass plaque to denote CDOT ownership.
After finding out that conversion was costly the plans were dropped and cars sat in Croton till decision to scap was made.
The 292 was donated to CERM in Williamantic together with FL9 2023.
The CDOT SPV's were maintained by Amtrak shop in New Haven but Amtrak never had ownership, out of 13 cars one was specific for Danbury branch, car #50 the others were pool cars for all New Haven branches the other 12 cars were numbered 988 tru 999.
The #50 did have Amtrak striping but no Amtrak name. just CDOT logo at all 4 corners. and fronts see John Scala's picture.

by Dieter

I want to cry when I see these pictures, but none the less, I'm glad we have them and thank you for sharing them with us.

They are definately of historic significance as part of the story of the New York Central, the MTA, Metro North, and the Hudson, Harlem and Housatonic Valleys.

Dieter.

by District D RTC

Thanks Jaap for clearing that up! That explains alot including the CDOT Constitutionliner conversion rumor for those cars. So Thanks again! Now Jaap, do you have a date for when the last SPV was in service on MN? I have a few old inspection reports in the archives, but I'm not sure.

--JSW