Railroad Forums 

• Current R&N ops at E Mahanoy Jct

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#737480  by carajul

Does the R&N use the line that goes west at EMJ or do they just use the re-actived line (I think the southern portion of the Catawissa branch) that swings northward? The track that goes east looks pretty beat up.

On the subject of EMJ, I have pics from the 1950s. It was controlled by a tower that was built into the side of the wall just under the bridge that carries the road, the passenger station was actually in the middle of a wye and there were about 5 tracks. Must have been real busy at one time.
 #737839  by mst145

carajul wrote:Does the R&N use the line that goes west at EMJ or do they just use the re-actived line (I think the southern portion of the Catawissa branch) that swings northward? The track that goes east looks pretty beat up.

On the subject of EMJ, I have pics from the 1950s. It was controlled by a tower that was built into the side of the wall just under the bridge that carries the road, the passenger station was actually in the middle of a wye and there were about 5 tracks. Must have been real busy at one time.

Yes, R&N uses that line every day except Saturday. It's the Mahanoy & Shamokin Branch which interchanges with the Shamokin Valley RR at Mt. Carmel Junction. There are several businesses along the line, most notably Reading Anthracite. R&N recently installed a remote switch, controlled from Port Clinton at East Mahanoy Junction.

M.T.