Railroad Forums 

• Current Military Rail Operations

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1280839  by RailVet

I think this is a complete list of the remaining Army rail operations that feature Army motive power. Other sites, such as Fort Drum, NY, and Fort Polk, LA, which have rail service but not Army motive power, are not included. Comments are welcome.

Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
(car mover only; locomotives left in 2005)

Anniston Army Depot, AL

Blue Grass Army Depot, KY

Military Ocean Terminal Concord, CA
(Formerly Naval Weapons Station Concord, CA.)

Defense Non-Tactical Generator & Rail Equipment Center, Hill AFB, UT
(Tenant Army activity on a USAF base.)

Fort Bliss, TX

Fort Bragg, NC
(Cape Fear Railways, Inc.)

Fort Campbell, KY

Fort Carson, CO

Fort Eustis, VA
(Utility Rail is contacted out to Northrop Grumman.)

Fort Hood, TX

Fort Leonard Wood, MO

Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA
(Encompasses the former Fort Lewis.)

Fort McCoy, WI

Fort Riley, KS

Fort Sill, OK

Fort Stewart. GA

Hawthorne Army Depot, NV

Holston Army Ammunition Plant, TN

Iowa Army Ammunition Plant, IA

Letterkenny Army Depot, PA
(Pennsylvania & Southern Railway)

Joint Systems Manufacturing Center, Lima, OH
(formerly Lima Army Tank Plant)

McAlester Army Ammunition Plant, OK

Milan Army Ammunition Plant, TN

Camp Navajo National Guard Training Site, Bellemont, AZ

Pine Bluff Arsenal, AR

Radford Army Ammunition Plant, VA

Red River Army Depot, TX

Sierra Army Depot, Herlong, CA

Military Ocean Terminal Sunny Point, Southport, NC

Tooele Army Depot, UT
 #1281081  by RailVet

A possible addition to this list is Yermo Annex of Marine Corps Logistics Base Barstow, CA, which uses Army GP10s at the base railhead for Army units going to and from the desert warfare training center at Fort Irwin to the north. I don't know if the rail employees fall under the USMC or the Army, but the locomotives are definitely Army.
 #1304377  by Norm

The Bluegrass Army Depot in Fayette County is served by RJ Corman.

Not sure what the situation is with the one in Madison County. It's much more secure due to the chemical weapons stockpile.
 #1304686  by Railman1396

They just surplused 6 army green goats, missing dang near everything. No trucks, batteries, control stands, gauges, lights, etc. The generator and diesel engine were still in them however.
 #1334811  by RailVet

The Facebook page of the 757th Transportation Battalion (Railway) states the unit's inactivation ceremony will be held on 13 September 2015 at 11 a.m. The location will be the Silver Spring Reserve Complex, 4850 West Silver Spring Drive, Milwaukee, WI 53218. Subordinate units are scattered in various locations around the country. See

https://www.facebook.com/757thTransport ... talionRail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the last railway battalion in the Army Reserve. The last active duty railway battalion, the 714th, was inactivated in June 1972 and the last active rail unit, the little 1st Railway Detachment, was inactivated at the end of September 1978. Both were at Fort Eustis, VA.

In the wake of the 757th's inactivation the Army will create the "Expeditionary Rail Center," a very different kind of unit. See:

http://www.almc.army.mil/alog/issues/Ma ... enter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

http://armypubs.army.mil/doctrine/DR_pu ... tp4_14.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1346300  by RailVet

Title: Army railroaders undergoing dramatic change

http://www.army.mil/article/153773" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Excerpt: The Army railway career field will shrink from roughly 600 troops to 150, and railway soldiers will shed their heavy hands-on rail responsibilities for roles as rail operations advisors to combatant command host nations.
 #1419820  by Railman1396

With a heavy heart I can confirm that we are shut down at Shaw. A very quick decision was made by DLA to shut down fuel receipts by rail. The base had just made a commitment to up the percentage of rail deliveries this year, and the tenant Army unit and Ft. Jackson discussed doing railroad loading and unloading training twice a year.

My job will be terminated by June 1st. The base is venamitly oppossing DLA's decision, but at this time there is little hope of continuing to operate.

I pulled the last empties out 1/25/17 under black flags.

I don't know how to add photos from my phone so I will just link a FB post https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0896933375" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1419870  by SemperFidelis

I know that the United States and our military leaders are always, always, friggin' always fighting the last war, but does anyone else think it is kind of short sighted to be gutting our military's rail-knowledge-base at a time when we are refocusing our warfighting capabilities on possible threats from and towards industrialized nations (Russia and former Soviet nations respectively) with strong rail systems?

If we end up honoring our NATO commitments and Russia keeps up its aggressive stance and follows it with action, it isn't impossible to foresee a time, one in the not too distant future, when we might need people who know about rail-based logistics, rail construction and repair (cruise missiles and/or Spetznaz Commandos can really screw up a mainline), and rail operations.

If the Meditteranean and the North Sea become threatened areas we're going to end up railing in a lot of tanks, artillery, shells, bombs, rifles, troops, food...pretty much everything from somewhere in Western Europe. Mind you, the vast majority of the shipments will be handled by European crews, but close in, nearer an active warzone, who knows? Not saying we're looking at a massive WWIII scenario here, but if we have to defend what is left of the Ukraine, it is not entirely unforseeable that we might need some people who know about trains to help out.

Edit: Former frustrated Marine chiming in to say the DLA sucks. It did before I was in the service and, apparently, it still does.