Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by JamesT4

I know this is a rail form, but I decided in this thread only can be used to talk about CTA bus & Pace bus routes through out the Chicagoland area.

It dont matter what you talk about the chicagoland transit systems, from it's history to present times, or any complants, or suggestions ect., just keep it clean.

by Milwaukee_F40C

I don't know much about the bus routes. Is PACE a successful system? I would probably consider riding the buses here in the western suburbs if they would start some routes to support all the development going on. No place to get on a bus to take me in to town, no choice but to drive everywhere.

Another thing: Whats the story with those CTA buses with funky paint schemes?

by byte

Which ones? The red-white-and-blue ones, or the ones with the yellowish-orange paint? The former were purchased used from Pace and look kind kind of "off" from the rest of the fleet, even though they're in the same color. The latter were purchased used from Seattle, and rather than entirely repainting them, CTA logos and numbers were added, and that was it.

by doepack

Milwaukee_F40C wrote:I don't know much about the bus routes. Is PACE a successful system? I would probably consider riding the buses here in the western suburbs if they would start some routes to support all the development going on. No place to get on a bus to take me in to town, no choice but to drive everywhere
The perception of whether or not PACE is a successful system primarily depends on where you live. IMO, most the service provided between the CTA stations and suburban Cook county is well patronized, and pretty much makes up the core of its network, so I'd say it's very successful there. However, once you get into the outer suburbs in DuPage, Will, and Kane counties, PACE generally plays a much more diminished role in terms of transit options, and its presence consists of little more than acting as a rush hour feeder route to Metra stations. Some suburbs like Wheaton and Naperville operate local service, but make no mistake, the car is still king, esepcially "out there", since the sevice is not nearly as well patronized as those offered in suburban Cook county.

by Milwaukee_F40C

It's sort of interesting that CTA bought buses from Seattle. I found an article about them: www.chicagoreporter.com/2000/10-2000/CTA/seattle.htm and here is a link to pictures for anyone who hasn't seen them: http://busexplorer.com/PHP/MidPage.php?id=499
The perception of whether or not PACE is a successful system primarily depends on where you live. IMO, most the service provided between the CTA stations and suburban Cook county is well patronized, and pretty much makes up the core of its network, so I'd say it's very successful there. However, once you get into the outer suburbs in DuPage, Will, and Kane counties, PACE generally plays a much more diminished role in terms of transit options, and its presence consists of little more than acting as a rush hour feeder route to Metra stations. Some suburbs like Wheaton and Naperville operate local service, but make no mistake, the car is still king, esepcially "out there", since the sevice is not nearly as well patronized as those offered in suburban Cook county.
I am in Kane county and I figured that PACE doesn't run much service out here. There are a few bus shelters around but I hardly ever see buses. Each year traffic is getting worse. I don't think I want to live out here much longer

by metra 613

Well i dont now if anyone will care. But last week pace took the last 2100s out of serivice 2120 2123 and 2128.

by Metra 47 607

I am sad to hear that those were very good buses they will be missed
  by metra 613

Hey for all u bus fans. Chbm just got two cta buses 375 and 9799 there came from cal.There back home at last if anyone wants me to put a pic up of them tell me.

by octr202

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but is anyone here familiar with how the CTA's 60 foot articulated buses perform in winter weather?

Here in Boston, the MBTA seems to have trouble with our Neoplan 60-footers -- they can't seem to negotiate any kind of hill in the snow w/o jack-knifing. Has this ever been an issue for the CTA? (And yes, I realize we've got a lot more hills to deal with, but still, any issues?)

Thanks!

by metra 613

There seem to be ok in the winter.i havent see any jack knifing that i know of. But i know the ones we have fall are not the great there nabis.There have been falling aprt out there.

by octr202

metra 613 wrote:There seem to be ok in the winter.i havent see any jack knifing that i know of. But i know the ones we have fall are not the great there nabis.There have been falling aprt out there.
Yikes! The NABIs here seem to be the better of our purchases -- their 40' versions seem to be holding up better than their Neoplan counterparts.

Thankfully our next order is New Flyers. I saw the photos of the CTA's new New Flyer 40 footer -- looks pretty nice. Hope they're holding up.

by orangeline

I live in La Grange and we are served by PACE routes 302, 304 and 330. The #330 runs between Harlem /Archer Aves and O'Hare Airport, with the main route along La Grange Rd/Mannheim Rd. I was wondering why this route doesn't operate on Sundays. Many times on Sundays there'll be one or more passengers with baggage waiting for an O'Hare-bound bus near the LaGrange Rd. Metra station who are surprised to learn it doesn't run that day. They could take a cab (if they can find one of those on Sundays!) but it'll cost about 15x the bus fare. Also, I'm sure people who work at or near O'Hare would benefit from some Sunday service.

Can anyone explain the reason?

by JamesT4

orangeline wrote:The #330 runs between Harlem /Archer Aves and O'Hare Airport, with the main route along La Grange Rd/Mannheim Rd. I was wondering why this route doesn't operate on Sundays. Many times on Sundays there'll be one or more passengers with baggage waiting for an O'Hare-bound bus near the LaGrange Rd. Metra station who are surprised to learn it doesn't run that day. They could take a cab (if they can find one of those on Sundays!) but it'll cost about 15x the bus fare. Also, I'm sure people who work at or near O'Hare would benefit from some Sunday service.
Fist of all pace goes by ridership, and if they have money in their budget to provide the service, but on that leg since it goes between O'Hare, and ,the shopping centers off La Grange, and Joliet Roads. To my view ridership is their for sunday service, but tht is up to pace to decide.

Pace is going to begin on ways, to improve bus service in the southwest surburs with in the next few months, like they did in Elgin, Aurora, and the surburbs just north of Chicago(Evanston, Skokie, Niles, Glenview, and other cities near by).