Railroad Forums 

• CSX West Albany and Troy Local trains

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1243569  by jakirk

San Luis & Rio Grande (Iowa Pacific) 1394, a former Great Northern full dome, is sitting outside West Albany yard today, mixed in with a string of scrap hoppers. Does anybody have an idea about it's destination? Amtrak Rensselaer shops?
 #1342233  by Benjamin Maggi

Since I think I am free to railfan next Tuesday, I wanted to check and see if the Troy local's schedule was still M/W/F and the Rensselaer local was T/Th. Also, what time does it normally leave the yard in Rotterdam and where would be the best place to start the "chase." Is the yard visible from a public place?
 #1565160  by Benjamin Maggi

I haven't been driving into Albany lately but today I drove to Troy where the local used to go to Interstate Commodities, as well as drop a refridgerated boxcar off on a spur by an old freight station. However, the tracks were all empty and the rails were severely rusted over indicating that hadn't been used in a while. Per articles online, Interstate Commodities filed for bankruptcy in August 2020. Are there any other industries that are service by the Troy local anymore?

Thanks.
 #1565186  by BR&P

Sad how the times have changed. In Borntrager's book "Keeping The Railroad Running", he tells of when the new locker room at the NYC's Troy yards was built in the mid-1940's. They kept it ship-shape by having a rotating list of the crews assigned there, each crew taking housekeeping duties a week at a time. No mention of exactly how many crews they had, but obviously quite a few.
 #1566001  by taracer

Benjamin Maggi wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:08 am I haven't been driving into Albany lately but today I drove to Troy where the local used to go to Interstate Commodities, as well as drop a refridgerated boxcar off on a spur by an old freight station. However, the tracks were all empty and the rails were severely rusted over indicating that hadn't been used in a while. Per articles online, Interstate Commodities filed for bankruptcy in August 2020. Are there any other industries that are service by the Troy local anymore?

Thanks.
The refer cars still go there and the road salt place was getting cars this winter again. They were trucking the salt in when PSR was in full swing.