by the end of 2023, CSX anticipates completing significant projects at PAS Ayer Yard that will allow for increased fluidity and capacity for the critical link between the CSX system and the PAR System,The same filing says portions of the restored line between Old Town and Mattawamkeag are up to Class 3 standards (posted in "Up North Gawking" thread).
The Ayer Yard improvements referenced above will consist of the following five projects, each as depicted in the map and diagram attached to the Ayer Operations Protocols:
1. Add new storage track off of the thoroughfare track (2,400ft). This work provides additional capacity to stage block swaps and / or the Pan Am water containers & trash containers while freeing up the thoroughfare track for thru trains.
2. Add power assisted switches on hand-throw electric lock universal cross-overs. This work enables Intermodal Trains to make head end moves into Ayer Yard rather than pulling past the east wye and making back-up moves through the passenger station. This will save time, free up moves on the east wye, and reduce congestion at the Ayer passenger station.
3. North End Ayer Yard: reconfigure the M1, M2, and M3 ladder tracks and add 750 feet of stub-end drill track. This work enables the intermodal trains to enter the yard (processing tracks M1, M2 & M3) from the east wye and not impact the local switching or block the thoroughfare track on the north end. This work will also isolate the intermodal service from the local service.
4. South End Ayer Yard: Add cross-over from M2 and M3 tracks to thoroughfare track. This work provides switching room on the M2 and M3 intermodal tracks using the thoroughfare track if the South Intermodal Lead (I/M Lead) is occupied. The new cross-over from the Track 11 Extension to the thoroughfare track allows through trains to bypass the intermodal train that may be working on the thoroughfare track.
5. Add an additional storage track off of the thoroughfare track (2,300ft). Again, this work provides additional capacity to stage block swaps, the water containers, and trash containers while freeing up the thoroughfare track.