Railroad Forums 

• CSX (TORCO)

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#557925  by photorailfan

Question, what is torco? Is it a seporate company or is it part of CSX? I Photographed #999 in downtown Cumberland Maryland and tried to look it up. I can't find any photos of it. I also spotted 996 or 997 burried in the shops.
 #557938  by mmi16

TORCO is a wholy owned subsidary that operates the Ore Docks at Toledo!
 #558290  by CSX Conductor

It's not uncommon to see lease units still wearing their former owner's paint, minus the logo. For example in the picture you posted they didn't re-paint the unit other than putting TORCO's reporting initials on it and changing the unit's numbers after blocking out the "CSXT" markings.
 #558915  by mmi16

CSX Conductor wrote:It's not uncommon to see lease units still wearing their former owner's paint, minus the logo. For example in the picture you posted they didn't re-paint the unit other than putting TORCO's reporting initials on it and changing the unit's numbers after blocking out the "CSXT" markings.
The TORCO engines are not 'leasers'. The have the TORCO reporting marks, they get shipped to the CSX Cumberland Locomotive Shop for their required 92 day maintenance cycles and major repairs.
 #558920  by CSX Conductor

I understand that, sorry if I worded it wrong. I was using the leasing companies as an example as many short lines who buy old power from bigger railroads usually do the same practice of keeping the majority of the old railroad's paint scheme.
 #558930  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

HCLX still has some units in the old BN green scheme, leasing companies aren't going to spend the money to repaint the units, they just slap their name on and paint over the old owner's name
 #559252  by mike

I'm not 100% certain, but I think the unit pictured actually is no longer a Torco unit. The ore dock has recently leased (purchased?) a different SD40 with a CSX blue TORCO on the long hood where the CSX would normally be. The number of the unit escapes me at the moment, however.
 #559263  by lvrr325

TORCO was home to the last CSX (Chessie) SD35s and either leases or purchases older CSX units on their last legs for service on the docks. This has been standard practice for at least 20 or 30 years, long enough that before CSX the units kept Chessie paint. Occasionally the units get mis-routed or swapped out and you see them in strange places - I saw one in Syracuse NY a number of years ago.

Some lease outfits do paint their locomotives - EMD, Helm, Morrison-Knudsen (defunct), First Union Rail, and at least one other outfit had units painted in their own schemes. In the case of Helm, they had CSX overhaul some units which got painted solid dark blue, after they'd used a scheme of a brighter blue and purple in the past. FURX units are green and silver, then to save a buck the last group they had overhauled just got primer.
 #559292  by CSX Conductor

lvrr325 wrote:Some lease outfits do paint their locomotives - EMD, Helm, Morrison-Knudsen (defunct), First Union Rail, and at least one other outfit had units painted in their own schemes.
GCFX or CEFX possibly? They are usually pretty sharp looking in a blue paint with white trim.
 #559333  by photorailfan

According to the bull sheet and the diesel shop site, there are only two torco units on the roster. The unit i spotted burried in the shops did have torco written on the side with large blue letters. My first guess was that they were there for inspection.
 #1552888  by Pensyfan19

Does anyone know if the ex-Chessie System narrow gauge GE 55 ton switchers are still operating in Toledo? If so, then they would be the last locomotives on CSX's roster which are still technically in the YN1 paint scheme. Here is a list of CSX's GE 55 ton switchers to explain what I mean.
 #1552924  by mmi16

Pensyfan19 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:54 pm Does anyone know if the ex-Chessie System narrow gauge GE 55 ton switchers are still operating in Toledo? If so, then they would be the last locomotives on CSX's roster which are still technically in the YN1 paint scheme. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoli ... SX&mid=417]Here is a list of CSX's GE 55 ton switchers to explain what I mean.
What list?
 #1553020  by Pensyfan19

Does anyone know the current status of these narrow gauge GE 55 Ton switchers, and whether they are still in use?