Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1598528  by newpylong

Cosakita18 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:50 pm Are there any details on the scope and timeline of the Rigby rebuild? Would the addition of an intermodal ramp and related facilities require a planning application with the city of South Portland?
Only if the alterations fall outside the property (like change of roadways to handle additional IM traffic) would they need to go to any local boards. Others than that they are preempted.
 #1598531  by MEC407

If, for example, they wanted to add a new curb cut on Rigby Road or Rumery Street, they'd have to go to the planning board. Other than that, I'd think that any new freight-transportation-related structures would only need the usual building permits, which don't require board approval.
 #1598548  by BandA

So permits for things like meeting the local building code and building inspector is required, but zoning / size of building, etc. is all federally preempted by STB, right?
 #1598557  by neman2

Two comments I have- 1) What do they use a Hummer for? 2) Somebody should tell someone about blurring license plate images on the internet.
 #1598559  by Safetee

For old time sake , i just checked out the pan am railways site which like alice and wonderland led me to csx. I went to the employment section to see what might be happening in new england . and lo and behold they are listing conductor jobs, for portland, lawrence, and waterville. And, the hiring group will be none other than our old friend springfield terminal. which just goes to show you, there really is life after death in the railroad industry.
 #1598560  by hrsn

neman2 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:08 pm Two comments I have- 1) What do they use a Hummer for? 2) Somebody should tell someone about blurring license plate images on the internet.
Remember, they're not RR vehicles, but airport (my guess). So the Hummer is for the terrorists, and the license plates on the 2014 Explorers are probably no longer good. And, as I learned to my amusement, NY police have to have real license plates numbers, front and back. http://www.statetrooperplates.com/newyork.html
 #1598565  by BobbyT

It's going to be interesting to see how quickly they start implementing any operational changes. I'm thinking one of the first things they'll do is start making a Lawrence block at Selkirk so they won't end up having to drag everything to Rigby anymore. I also wonder if they may start running the Dover jobs out of Lawrence, though not sure Lawrence yard is the best place to be positioning all the those LPG cars due to it's proximity to nearby neighborhoods.
 #1598573  by newpylong

Safetee wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:44 pm For old time sake , i just checked out the pan am railways site which like alice and wonderland led me to csx. I went to the employment section to see what might be happening in new england . and lo and behold they are listing conductor jobs, for portland, lawrence, and waterville. And, the hiring group will be none other than our old friend springfield terminal. which just goes to show you, there really is life after death in the railroad industry.
Those jobs have been posted for years, literally.
 #1598589  by NHN503

hrsn wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:53 pm
Remember, they're not RR vehicles, but airport (my guess). So the Hummer is for the terrorists, and the license plates on the 2014 Explorers are probably no longer good. And, as I learned to my amusement, NY police have to have real license plates numbers, front and back. http://www.statetrooperplates.com/newyork.html

The plates are still good.

And we get the hummers though the 1033 program. They are nice for getting off road trackside. BUT, maintenance and obtaining parts is a PITA as you have to go though the local motor pool and they may or may not have them. I ultimately returned ours back to the 1033 program.
 #1598597  by MEC407

BandA wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:57 pm So permits for things like meeting the local building code and building inspector is required, but zoning / size of building, etc. is all federally preempted by STB, right?
Yes and no. If they went crazy and decided to build a 30 story skyscraper, for example, they'd still have to go to the planning board because that would be a totally different type of land use that isn't related to railroad transportation — and the application would be rejected because 30 story buildings are not permitted anywhere in South Portland. (They could come back and petition for the zoning ordinance to be changed to allow 30 story buildings, but that would require approval of the planning board and the city council.)

If they wanted to add a bunch of new tracks within the existing Rigby Yard footprint, including areas of the property that never had tracks before, that would be an example where preemption kicks in and they wouldn't need city approval.
 #1598600  by johnpbarlow

Here's a screen copy of 3 ST positions that CSX is advertising on the Careers portion of its corporate website as 5/30/22. When you click on the arrow for each position at the right, you link to a page that describes the job - at the very top, the job description says "This is not a CSX Transportation position. Successful applicants will report to Springfield Terminals."
Attachments:
CSX ST job positions.JPG
CSX ST job positions.JPG (77.48 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
 #1598605  by newpylong

As has been stated numerous times, ST is not going anywhere until "Systems" are fully merged into CSXT. For day 1, ST exists (I believe as part of 747 Systems Merger Sub 1) that CSXT has purchased from Mellon. They'll also continue to operate PAS on behalf of NS and CSX until B&E take over as well.

Its not typical to merge with entities of this size and complexity and flip the switch Day 1.