Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1589294  by newpylong

I get the feeling CSX is about done here. It's either going to be approved or not, and if it's not, they'll go to court and win, because there is no evidence against anti-competitive impact.
 #1589315  by A215

newpylong wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:06 pm I get the feeling CSX is about done here.
They seemed pretty pissy during some of the hearing that's for sure. I was surprised how concerned the STB was with this sale. With them resolving issues with parties outside of the transaction, it seemed like a sure thing. A lot of good questions were asked.
 #1589317  by Cosakita18

I was surprised there wasn't more of a discussion about intermodal except in the context of NS trackage rights on the B&A

At times it almost sounded like the CSX team was deliberately understating or avoiding discussion about certain types of traffic growth.
 #1589320  by CN9634

At the end of the day it’s a public forum with your competitor on as well…. I was surprised how much Saint John was involved in the presentation— that’s a great sign for the system as a whole.
 #1589333  by codasd

I too was surprised about how often SJ was mention. That is an arrow aimed right at the Canadian roads. Sounded like CSX wanted to under promise on expectations. I loved the picture of the greenery on the Worcester line. It's in worst shape than I thought and I had quite a low expectation of it. Glad they mentioned undercutting since just ballast would be lipstick on a pig.
 #1589335  by roberttosh

Why would anyone be surprised about all the SJ talk? There is no other low hanging fruit that comes close to having what SJ and the rest of the Irving road empire has to offer. Sure there is some incremental growth at the paper mills, industrial development opportunities, truck diversion, etc but there's literally thousands and thousands of cars coming out of NB and Northern Maine which they should be able to flip in short order with little to no effort.
 #1589377  by newpylong

Today's hearing. Amtrak, MassDOT and CP are in the first panel. Should be a hoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4CgAk8VLfo

I think this is going to go to court when the board tries to impose unrelated conditions to the transaction in front of them without authority.
Last edited by newpylong on Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1589381  by Gilbert B Norman

roberttosh wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:44 pm Why would anyone be surprised about all the SJ talk? There is no other low hanging fruit that comes close to having what SJ and the rest of the Irving road empire has to offer.
While probably a stretch, it could be said "it's all about Saint John".

If the maritime companies can accept the tidal conditions, such as sailing only every twelve hours on the high tide, the thought of somewhat cheaper dockage, 1-2 days less sailing to/from Europe or the Suez Canal, choice of three roads, the Beeline Chessie represents to any US market even if only over 40mph Class 3 track....all I can say is "no wonder".
 #1589383  by CN9634

roberttosh wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:44 pm Why would anyone be surprised about all the SJ talk? There is no other low hanging fruit that comes close to having what SJ and the rest of the Irving road empire has to offer. Sure there is some incremental growth at the paper mills, industrial development opportunities, truck diversion, etc but there's literally thousands and thousands of cars coming out of NB and Northern Maine which they should be able to flip in short order with little to no effort.
I’m not surprised by that which you and I already know… I’m just surprised CSX dedicated slides to it when it’s barely at all mentioned in the application. They even mentioned an additional train pair if “something shakes loose at Saint John” which I took as intermodal
 #1589386  by newpylong

This is where you ask CP if PAS is so valuable to you why don't you ship more over it or buy it? Their tonnage is paltry. All they are doing is arguing about someone's else's traffic.
 #1589391  by NHV 669

Pensyfan19 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:46 pm
I'm hoping for them to restore service to Bangor along Pan Am trackage, in addition to various other routes in New England owned by other regional roads (Boston to Montreal via Concord, Boston to Halifax via Bangor, also Pan Am trackage, New York to Portland via Worcester, also Pan Am, Portland to Montreal)
You haven't been able to get to Montreal via Concord for over a quarter century, given that they are no longer connected by rail. Portland-Montreal are no longer connected by actively maintained track. Boston to Halifax is track owned by a minimum of four different entities, forget about it, especially given the slow track east of BVJ. Why would Amtrak even consider such silly ideas?

CSX is making every concession they can to push this through, now isn't the time to present pipe dreams.