• CSX REDI Center

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by jmox

devionx wrote:Does anyone have any idea what kinds of things we're supposed to bring with us to REDI? I can see from the less than two weeks notice that the 10/12 class got, that if I need something like a specific style of steel toe boots or anything like that, I'm going to be scrambling to get it at the last minute. I'd like to have a heads up about that so I can scrape together the finances to go out and buy it and not show up to class short-handed.
Once you get the call you will also get a packet with detailed information about the clothes to wear like, boots, jeans, outdoors clothes, rain gear stuff of that nature. Other than that,glasses, if you wear them, money, ID's. and what not to bring, ie. loose , baggy clothing, jewerly. Hope that helps Devionx!
  by tltucker

Can anybody tell me about how long it takes to start at the CSX REDI center? I have been placed into the Ready for Hire status. I was cleared by medical on Sept 18th. I spoke to the Human Resources guy, and I was told that I would be contacted by my supervisor and emailed my info on a start date at the REDI center. I am going for Track worker..... Thanks
  by C130Mech

Well I got "the call" today, altho it was not the call that I wanted. I was told that I am going into the what I like to call the "We want you, but we dont know when we will have an opening for you" pool. Basicly I was told that if someone else that they have chosen to start class falls out that I would get the call to fill there place. It sucks because when I first got the call I was told that I would be starting REDI with the October 12 class. Now its has changed to I will be a buffer for the November class.

This sucks. But I guess that is how its going to be. Hopefully I will get the call for the Class starting in November. But I guess shit happens.
  by devionx

Finally got the good call! HR called me today and let me know that I'm officially in the 26th of Oct class. She said they'll send my package next week as well as an email containing the job offer letter. I did ask about Thanksgiving and she wasn't positive about whether or not they would fly us back but she said that they sometimes fly people back during major holidays. Not that I'm holding my breath, but I'm sure me and my better half will be happy to spend that time together with the family for free :) Oh, no information on the flight or even which airline, either.
  by biscuit

Got my "good" call today as well. Pretty excited. And it's in only two weeks! So congrats to the others that got the good news, look forward to meeting some of you. The Red Wings are on now so i got to go!
  by DRay

I also got the long awaited call. She told me that the 21st I would know which airline I would be taking. Looking forward to getting down there!
  by tortoise

Hey Devionx, DRay, and Biscuit:

I also got the call on the 9th of October for the 26th class. I will be flying out of Fort Wayne on the morning of the 26th but not sure which carrier yet. As far as Thanksgiving goes, I got the same info. They are considering flying people back because they told us originally it would be a 4 week truncated course instead of 6 but I am not holding my breath either. Will see you guys in a few weeks I guess. My wife has printed off a bunch of things to do in Atlanta, but since I don't know if we are in a hotel, or a dorm or what, not sure if I will be able to do any on the weekends. Eeehh, we will see!

You guys can email me if you get any more info!
  by devionx

"You will be dismissed on 11/22 for the Thanksgiving Holiday and will resume training on 11/30. If you are flying, flight arrangements will be made for you. " That's awesome! I chose to fly.
  by Whale

It looks like most of the conductors got REDI dates prior to getting screening results back. Am I reading that right? What about other jobs?

I am taking my physical and strength test on Friday and HR said there wasn't training, but at my interview they said 2 wks at REDI (Comm Maintainer / Installer). The HR rep wasn't sure and had to "look it up" and I think she may have looked up wrong. Do most people find out REDI dates BEFORE screening comes back or prior to?

Thanks,

Whale
  by tortoise

Yeah I talked with HR today and she wasn't sure if we get payed for that week or not. Either way I am going home and enjoying the holiday. Might be my last whole week off for a year or more ;)

Also checked on the Extended Stay America that we will be staying at and seems like a hotel room with a bit more ammenities like kitchen. Good enough for 6 weeks as long as I don't have to bunk with anyone. As long as we are close to a shopping district for movies and a bite I will be fine :D

She said that we will get the flight info will be between the 21st and 23rd and a phone call next Thursday or Friday to make sure everything is fine and understood.

Can't wait. Been waiting on this for a long time now.
  by Thatguy

Tortoise,

I was REDI back in June. We stayed at the Extended Stay America on Crestline. Thats the one you want. Pretty much everything is in walking distance. Cosco is across the street, malls are about 1/2 mile walking distance, the subway is about 1/4 mile away and and the "Dirty Derby"(a local bar) is just down the street.

Hopefully you will get Chad Naggy for an instructor. He was ours and it was a good class, had tons of fun with him.

Will you be working out of Garrett? I'm from Fort Wayne, IN but work in Baltimore, MD for CSX. Any other questions let me know.
  by tortoise

Thatguy wrote:Tortoise,

I was REDI back in June. We stayed at the Extended Stay America on Crestline. Thats the one you want. Pretty much everything is in walking distance. Cosco is across the street, malls are about 1/2 mile walking distance, the subway is about 1/4 mile away and and the "Dirty Derby"(a local bar) is just down the street.

Hopefully you will get Chad Naggy for an instructor. He was ours and it was a good class, had tons of fun with him.

Will you be working out of Garrett? I'm from Fort Wayne, IN but work in Baltimore, MD for CSX. Any other questions let me know.
Excellent information. That IS the Extended Stay (on Crestline) that I and probably the other guys will be staying at. Am happy to know that it is located near (walking distance) to some stuff to do. Subway info is nice too considering I wanted to see a couple of museums and aquariums during my stay. Of course not sure of instructor. And going to try to stay away from the bars. Don't want to tempt fate on a drug screen by csx for shits and giggles. Thanks again for the info! any more info you have on local things to do and what to expect from the class would be GREATLY appreciated!
  by biscuit

I heard that it would help to start studying the signals for new hire conductors? does anyone know if it's a difficult signal test? i got thru high school and college just fine, and don't wanna blow this opportunity, so any input would be appreciated!! :-)
  by Nocrimenskaten

Hi i just recently got the awesome call from csx and i leave to go to REDI Sunday Nov 2. I applied as a assistant signal worker so that's what im going to learn. Just got a few questions what is being taught and what happens if u fail are you off of csx jus got a fear of quiting one job and going to take a test that i have no idea about and don't wanna fail that and end up jobless. what are some of the tools that they give you it says bring an extra bag and another question is when u get back do you start work on that monday or wait for another call? im from richmond va. i have school for 2 weeks and does it matter what u bring down there like a laptop or n e thing along that nature just tryin to get a heads up on what to expect thank's for anyones help!
  by Jon Doe

Yea I got a call a week or two ago saying all my medical is clear. She said I start class on November 16th. Im going for Conductor. Ill proberly call sometime this week just to get some info on things. I wasn't home when the call came in but I was told. So I'm glad to hear that news just running out of money! Oh well. It happens I guess, atleast I got this oppurtunity to do something with myself. Im def. not gonna blow it.