Railroad Forums 

• CSX Q38831 2017 Hyndman, PA derailment investigation

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1619783  by GRSdave

Pro Publica investigation into PSR, Harrison and the CSX Q38831 2017 derailment in Hyndman, Pennsylvania.
Reporting on how the train started in Chicago and was built during it's run to Hyndman. There is animation to demonstrate how the accident occured.

Quote used as Fair Use:

"On July 31, 2017, CSX assembled Train Q38831 in a rail yard in Chicago, destined for a city outside of Hyndman. It had five locomotives at the front and 136 cars trailing behind, about half hauling hazardous material: propane, isobutane, ethyl alcohol, phosphoric acid and molten sulfur heated to 235 degrees Fahrenheit. It was a bomb train, as some workers refer to them, given its combustible cargo. When it left the yard and traveled east, the train grew. In Lordstown, Ohio, workers added 28 cars. In New Castle, Pennsylvania, they added 14. Now the train was 2 miles long."

Link to full story:

https://www.propublica.org/article/trai ... ong-trains

#1619798  by MACTRAXX

Dave: Interesting article and a good read about problems with long freight trains of the type that derailed at Hyndman, PA back in 2017 under PSR...Those empty cars should have been at the rear of that - and any long train using a line with steep grades such as the former B&O through Sand Patch and southern PA...

On a description subject that has turned up in this article:

I have grown to STRONGLY dislike the term "Train Car(s)" that is now becoming unfortunately more widely used in the media and some of the general non-railroad oriented public...It not only sounds awkward - it is just a generic term that really does not describe anything specific..."Rail Car" would at least be better. If someone says "Train Car" to me my reply would be "What Type?" There are plenty of rail car types starting with Freight Cars - You have Box Cars, Tank Cars, Auto Racks, Covered (and open) Hopper Cars as a start. Passenger trains and their cars have their own group of general description depending on when and where they are used in service...Most if not all RR.Net Forum members are well aware of how to identify rail cars.

I wanted to start a topic about rail car terminology and descriptions such as the dreaded use of "Train Car" but trying to find an exact forum where this would go and/or fit in for discussion would be a tough call. Did anyone that read this article notice that the terms "Freight Train" or "Freight Cars" was not used at all in this article? At least "Tanker Cars" are in the ballpark - "Tank Car" is a better and simpler description...

I do not want to break with the original subject - if anyone has any ideas on where a topic like this should be regarding the use of rail car description terms please point me in the right direction...MACTRAXX
 #1619827  by GRSdave

MACTRAXX, starting a topic specific to rail car terminology would be a great subject.

When it comes to news writing and the railroad industry, the Associated Press' "AP Style Book"
should probably be updated to current times and have those particular words added.
Especially if trains, railroading and the related industry are to be written about properly in the near future.

And may I suggest the professionals at Railway Age create one themselves.
 #1619995  by GRSdave

Looks like it already exists.

Railway Age's Comprehensive Railroad Dictionary Paperback – Illustrated, January 1, 2002

Defines approximately 3,000 terms and abbreviations commonly used in the railroad industry, including its mechanical, structural, and operational subdivisions. Small black-and-white photographs and drawings in the margin accompany some definitions.

https://www.amazon.com/Railway-Ages-Com ... 0911382275