Railroad Forums 

• CSX/Monon semaphore signals in Indiana

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#369918  by Steve Dittmar

would like to photograph semaphores in lafayette/crawfordville Indiana
Are they still up?
Does anyone know how many, or where etc. Traffic info or radio freq.
also helpful. Dont want to drive 300 miles for nothing. Thanks for any help

#383089  by Otto Vondrak

Steve,

I also want to drive from the East and photograph these semaphores. Here's what I found...

"The Monon's original semaphore signals are still in operation between Salem and Mitchell, and also from Crawfordsville to near Lafayette. These are some of the last semaphore signals remaining in mainline operation in the United States."

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

#383238  by Rockin' Roller

I saw a semaphore in New Castle, Indiana last year next to the NS office. I don't know if it is still working.

#383552  by Otto Vondrak

Great story in this month's edition of RAILROADS ILLUSTRATED about the Indiana semaphores. There appear to be semaphores in the following locations:

- Linden/Romney

- Fogg

- Orleans

- Salem

- Campbellsburg

Don't know how much longer they'll last.

=otto=

#390859  by Tadman

As long as you're driving from the east to see Indiana semaphores, don't forget the ones at Brighton, in Chicago, a few hours north/west. They guard the busiest non-interlocked junction likely in the world, if not just the US.

#427088  by CIOR

The semaphore at New Castle is a fixed one. Its used as the approach signal for East Cast. I spent many a day on the L82 looking at that signal when we interchanged with Indiana HiRail there.
 #745648  by judgesmails

Are any of the Indiana semaphores still in place? I remember that Spring 2008 was possibly the end for these signals, but I'm wondering if any escaped being replaced. Thanks for any information.

Trey