Railroad Forums 

• CSX lines for sale / review

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1458451  by Ironman

johnpbarlow wrote:
sd80mac wrote:
RMB357 wrote:Some reports say NS could be a possible suitor for the Boston line but with the current agreement with Pan Am ownership of the Patriot corridor not sure how that would all legally play out.
I don't see how that is possible. Theres no connection on west end. I believe that CSX intended to sell that line for shortline to serve customers.

Amtrak probably wouldn't let NS or CP touch their connection from Troy to B&A. Or CSX letting NS to run through their line to get to B&A

As far as I know, NS owns the track or RoW of the ex-D&H Albany main from Delanson to Voorheesville Jct, which is where the CSX Selkirk branch is. As I understand things, while the track is still in place from the spur that SMS uses to access North East Industrial Park at Guilderland up to the CSX main, the switch between the ex-D&H and CSX has been removed. But it certainly wouldn't be impossible to replace it. If NS were to gain ownership or access rights to the B&A via a re-instated Voorheesville connection, clearly CSX would need to give NS trackage rights from Voorheesville to CP-SK.

URL to Google Maps aerial the remaining east end of the ex-D&H Albany main (should be able to zoom in for detailed study):
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Voorh ... 73.9287365

No need to go through all these contortions. There are about 2 on-line customers on the B&A west of CP109. One in Pittsfield and one in Nivervile. They will be out of luck.

We are looking at a major shift here, all N.E. traffic will go via the B&M west of Springfield/East Deerfield.
 #1458492  by RMB357

They are pruning the railroad for a preemptive merger down the road. Just my opinion but this is what EHH wanted and I believe the new management eventually wants. And frankly I agree with Ironman, I don't think they care as long as they get the most money for the sales and regulatory approval allows it, this is a whole different world. If CSX truly cared about the business, they would work on growing it. All they want is a triangular conveyor belt of traffic eventually.
 #1458524  by erie2937

The goal is to merge a basically east/west CSX with either BNSF or UP to create a true transcontinental railroad. Then NS will be forced to merge with whichever does not merge with CSX. North/south lines will go to CN and CP. Only KCS can survive because it has direct routes into Mexico. If Amtrak decides that the Albany-Boston line can generate enough revenue it will have to buy the B&A or find a way to operate over the B&M. The folly of Conrail abandoning the Falls Road and the Lyons-Corning line will become painfully obvious - that route would be very useful, if intact, to CN or CP. Too many bridges are gone to ever rebuild the Falls Road which, designated a branch, was really a main line with CTC operation.
 #1458535  by BandA

Massachusetts will obviously be interested in buying the B&A, especially Springfield east. I assume somebody will buy the NY portion.
 #1458557  by johnpbarlow

Ironman wrote:
No need to go through all these contortions. There are about 2 on-line customers on the B&A west of CP109. One in Pittsfield and one in Nivervile. They will be out of luck.

We are looking at a major shift here, all N.E. traffic will go via the B&M west of Springfield/East Deerfield.
Using the B&M lower altitude routing through the Berkshires west of Greenfield makes sense for the PAS and CSX manifest freight traffic and auto rack trains (and the Conn River line track is now rebuilt for "higher speed rail") but double stacks can't operate that route without a big ticket investment in raising clearances in Hoosac and Little Hoosac tunnel.
 #1458639  by lvrr325

Somebody should buy the lines north out of Syracuse, then buy out CSX's half of the Susquehanna.

Instant one-carrier Montreal to New York railroad. North-South traffic, for a new regional carrier, or for perhaps CN?
 #1458826  by Ironhorse27

lvrr325 wrote:Somebody should buy the lines north out of Syracuse, then buy out CSX's half of the Susquehanna.

Instant one-carrier Montreal to New York railroad. North-South traffic, for a new regional carrier, or for perhaps CN?
It would be better for CSX to sell to a new regional carrier who will grow the business to funnel to CSX, with the new carrier forwarding CN and new business traffic to CSX.
 #1458993  by Matt Langworthy

johnpbarlow wrote:Filed under "Never Mind!":

Article in Friday's Albany Time Union web site: "CSX rules out sale of former Boston & Albany line"

http://m.timesunion.com/business/articl ... 307-tbla-4

Makes sense.
That's no surprise. Last I knew, the B&A was still hosting about 14-16 trains per day, including intermodal traffic to/from the port at Boston. Those who have flown in or out of Logan Airport can see the containers on the docks nearby. This is exactly the kind of unit traffic CSX wants to keep.

I stated previously in this thread that the B&A sale seemed unlikely, so thank you for the confirmation. Just like the supposed reports about the closure of Selkirk's hump and single tracking the Water Level Route, the B&A story is foamer hogwash. The current regime at CSX is creating enough problems without rumor-mongers crying wolf.
 #1459007  by SecaucusJunction

I'd agree about the sale of the B&A and the single tracking but they did try to close down Selkirk hump, and apparently were close, but could never get the job done. Looks like that is now off the table.

On another topic, now there are rumblings about NS trying to close Allentown hump.
 #1459087  by nessman

I would predict that the following lines in NY are getting a close look:

Charlotte Runner sold to shortline operator

Falls Road Industrial abandoned or sold to shortline operator

Fulton and Baldwinsville Subs sold to shortline operator

Lockport, Niagara and Somerset RR Subs - sold to shortline operator

St. Lawrence and Montreal Subs - sold to regional operator or CN

West Shore Sub - abandoned (except for trackage between R&S and Ridgeland - sold to LA&L or G&W)
 #1459089  by BR&P

No point in selling the Charlotte branch, except maybe from Ridge Road to MP8 just past Folding Box. No other traffic I'm aware of. And what's left at Otis or the stub of the Falls Road? Doubt there's enough to feed a short line. My guess is they remove both mainline switches at the Buffalo Wye, and rip up everything north of there.
 #1459114  by nessman

Yeah - and give the G&W what few customers are left on the runner... ?

Or cut out the Buffalo Wye, and have the R&S access the Runner via Kodak Park.

Some possibilities... but little opportunity outside of Kodak Park.
 #1459120  by BR&P

nessman wrote:Yeah - and give the G&W what few customers are left on the runner... ?

Or cut out the Buffalo Wye, and have the R&S access the Runner via Kodak Park.

Some possibilities... but little opportunity outside of Kodak Park.
My point exactly - correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only thing CSX has down there now is whatever is in Eastman Business Park or whatever they call Kodak these days, and Folding Box. Give R&S that business and sell them from the Kodak gate down to the Box Shop (IF they want it). North of MP 8, which is out of service, and south of Ridge Road, all the way to Jay Street, can be removed. If there is not a lot of traffic out the former Falls Road, I don't see why they would keep anything up there.