Railroad Forums 

• CSX Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1047601  by COEN77

yamaharider529 wrote:Charleston, West Virginia.
Charleston is a big place sounds like your being hired for yard an industry work. It's part of the Huntington Division. Of course the HQ in Huntington is like 30-40 minutes away. A lot depends on what your seniority zone will be if works slow down in Charleston depending on the zone one could work other places. Seniority could go east, west, or in both directions.
 #1047640  by tbaz

I am going to Atlanta June 11 for frieght conductor training what Hotel are they putting people up at I was gonna drive but not if I gotta pay 750 bucks for parking while I am there. I heard the Extended Stay America on Crestline was a good place are they still sending people there? How long does it take to get paid? whats it cost to get by down there per week?
 #1047657  by pswag115

tbaz wrote:I am going to Atlanta June 11 for frieght conductor training what Hotel are they putting people up at I was gonna drive but not if I gotta pay 750 bucks for parking while I am there. I heard the Extended Stay America on Crestline was a good place are they still sending people there? How long does it take to get paid? whats it cost to get by down there per week?

There are a few hotels they put you in, all have free parking. CSX will provide you with all the info about 2 weeks before you go. As posted in this thread a few times it takes about 3 weeks to get the first check. Cost per week is up to you, there are grocery stores all over to pack a lunch, or there is a decent cafeteria at the school.
 #1047679  by Freddy

I hope it's changed, don't know why it would, but when I went for safety certification in 08, after being off sick, me and a lot of others were put up at the hotel on crestline. Those places are
CSX hotels not regular hotels. For an entire week my sheets were changed only once. CSX is a good place to work but after 32 years I knew not to expect 5 star service.
 #1047697  by NErailfan

Has anyone specifically for conductors position been asked to re-take their physical before starting at REDI? Even after I got the Ready to hire E-mail. I got a E-mail a few days ago stating I should reschedule another one. Sounds kind of ridiculous if you ask me.

Thanks
 #1047706  by COEN77

NErailfan wrote:Has anyone specifically for conductors position been asked to re-take their physical before starting at REDI? Even after I got the Ready to hire E-mail. I got a E-mail a few days ago stating I should reschedule another one. Sounds kind of ridiculous if you ask me.

Thanks
It depends on how long it's been since you took the initial physical. I do believe with pre-hire if it's been over 6 months another physical is required. Same thing happens after a person is hired no matter how long they've been working. If a railroader misses 90 days of work they need a physical to return to work. Sounds like you must be getting close to being called up if they want a new physical scheduled.
 #1047998  by 996Turbo

@ NErailfan, CSX requires people who are eligible for hire to keep there medical status up to date every 3 months until officially hired. I had to take two physicals until CSX gave me my REDI start date.
 #1048516  by mattyfro1973

Hello all, just got my clear to hire status today, took 3 weeks and four days after physical and strength test, all set to go. Just waiting on a REDI start date. Albany, NY division here. Good luck to all in REDI currently and who have a start date, hope I get one soon!! Thanks to all for the information here, kept me busy learning while I wait, Have a Safe Day!
 #1049242  by Richierich

Hello everyone,
I Had an interview for csx track worker on 5/17 went through the interview and meet the qualifications received an email on 5/22 and got placed in a job pool and status indicates eligible for hire. Does anyone know what the next step is ?? (while applying I took a basic reading and math aessnebt test will there be anymore tests besides physical strength and endurance??
 #1049456  by dover

Richierich wrote:Hello everyone,
I Had an interview for csx track worker on 5/17 went through the interview and meet the qualifications received an email on 5/22 and got placed in a job pool and status indicates eligible for hire. Does anyone know what the next step is ?? (while applying I took a basic reading and math aessnebt test will there be anymore tests besides physical strength and endurance??

Just sit back and wait is all you can do for now. You can apply for other positions that come up if you want. There are several of us on here in the same boat. I have been in a pool for about 3 months now. "WELCOME TO THE POOL PARTY"
 #1049531  by Kazecap0ne

COEN77 wrote:
yamaharider529 wrote:Charleston, West Virginia.
Charleston is a big place sounds like your being hired for yard an industry work. It's part of the Huntington Division. Of course the HQ in Huntington is like 30-40 minutes away. A lot depends on what your seniority zone will be if works slow down in Charleston depending on the zone one could work other places. Seniority could go east, west, or in both directions.

the charleston,WV yard is tiny. they have local coal mine runs and for yard work they service 3 customers. 1 yard job per shift. they will train you in the yard but they will probably also qualify you at elk run or danville to. bad thing is they all have furlough retention boards right now so not sure when you will get called for training.
 #1049644  by COEN77

Kazecap0ne wrote:

the charleston,WV yard is tiny. they have local coal mine runs and for yard work they service 3 customers. 1 yard job per shift. they will train you in the yard but they will probably also qualify you at elk run or danville to. bad thing is they all have furlough retention boards right now so not sure when you will get called for training.
I didn't necessarily mean the yard is big. I was looking at when you drive through Charleston seeing the industries off of I-64 that the railroad services. I drive through it about once a year when I'm not in a hurry to get to Toledo, Ohio for a visit. I use to go up to Huntington every other month for CSX safety overlap meetings when I was on the BLET SENSE commitee representing locomotive engineers out of Richmond and Newport News, Va.
 #1049717  by Freddy

COEN77 wrote:
Kazecap0ne wrote:

I didn't necessarily mean the yard is big. I was looking at when you drive through Charleston seeing the industries off of I-64 that the railroad services. I drive through it about once a year when I'm not in a hurry to get to Toledo, Ohio for a visit. I use to go up to Huntington every other month for CSX safety overlap meetings when I was on the BLET SENSE commitee representing locomotive engineers out of Richmond and Newport News, Va.
Man do I miss those overlap meetings. Steak, baked potato and salad every month. Steaks were hugh and the salad fresh. I had a damn good Signal Supvr. Real young guy, ex marine, always
gave us a 250 dollar Wal Mart gift card on his own separate from the 200 dollar card that Atlanta Div. Signals gave everybody at Christmas time. You guys ain't gonna get nothing like that
in train service.