Railroad Forums 

• CSX employment concerns

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1330994  by jhunt33

Hey everyone, I am having a bit of a problem with CSX. I was hired in December and was supposed to go to training in February. I passed all my tests but since then I keep getting the run around and they keep pushing my training date back which is now "tentatively" September 4th. Im wondering if this is pretty normal and I should stick with it or just give up and go back to school. Thanks for any input.
 #1331271  by Philly117

jhunt33 wrote:Hey everyone, I am having a bit of a problem with CSX. I was hired in December and was supposed to go to training in February. I passed all my tests but since then I keep getting the run around and they keep pushing my training date back which is now "tentatively" September 4th. Im wondering if this is pretty normal and I should stick with it or just give up and go back to school. Thanks for any input.

And I thought I was having a hard time with them. They have been re-arranging schools and stuff lately so expect a delay. I did my interview in December and was supposed to go to school in Feb and it got pushed to May 25th. From all that I have read, this tends to be normal. Good news is they changed some of the school times. So, if you are going for Conductor its 5 weeks instead of 6. Otherwise, not a whole lot you can do but be extremely patient. What position and terminal did you hire out for?
 #1332745  by tslo91

I hired out with CSX in January went thru the 6 weeks at the REDI and started working at my home terminal at the end of February. So far they have furloughed 2 classes ahead of mine as soon as they marked up as conductors. My class still has some ojt and we will most likely be furloughed also. CSX hired a lot of conductors but have no place for them to go.
 #1335548  by COEN77

tslo91 wrote:I hired out with CSX in January went thru the 6 weeks at the REDI and started working at my home terminal at the end of February. So far they have furloughed 2 classes ahead of mine as soon as they marked up as conductors. My class still has some ojt and we will most likely be furloughed also. CSX hired a lot of conductors but have no place for them to go.
It's not unusual. When I hired out in 1977 I worked for 3 weeks then was furloughed for 2 months got a recall for a month than furloughed 4 months. This went on for over 3 years. To fill a slot two things have to happen 1) retirements 2) increase in business.
 #1340361  by ehayes72

Hey guys. I too was recently told my new start date is Sept 4th (conductor position in Cols, Ohio.) This is the second time I've been told my start date has been pushed out and I'm getting worried that they may cancel it. Any other thoughts?
 #1348092  by Philly117

Jacksonville Division training was cut off August 25th. All trainees furloughed. Training will start from the beginning on call-back.
 #1390485  by tslo91

Just to give you a little update on my furlough status. I was furloughed after ojt June 8,2015. It is now June 28, 2016 and I'm no where near being called back. There are roughly 65 guys above me in seniority furloughed at my home terminal also and the only terminals I'm able to transfer to are roughly 6hrs away and even there I'm only have to hold about two spots.