Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1598939  by neman2

At about 20:00 hours today I heard via scanner D2 inform ED-495 to "drop on track 1 at Lowell and return light power to the milling." I haven't heard that train symbol for at least a few years.
 #1598949  by Gilbert B Norman

For those of you with shipments that move on the Pan Am Southern (PAS) network, now jointly owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern
If the rights to the Blue Meatball go elsewhere, what will the road be named? "Puss N' Hoofs"? :P
 #1598959  by MNCRR9000

With CSX purchasing PAR what is going to happen with the combined PAR/Keolis MBTA dispatch center at Iron Horse Park that is currently under construction?
 #1598961  by BandA

Someone said that CSX is required to continue to dispatch the former B&M track in MA as part of the purchase agreement back in the 1970s. If CSX leaves the building, presumably the T/Keolis will take over completely.

South Station "Tower 1" signal system is being rebuilt, to be completed in 2027. I think it is still dispatched by Amtrak out of BOS. Presumably it might be consolidated and taken over by the T in Billerica. But maybe the tower is too important to be remotely managed?

G&W will be taking over the operation of PAS through a new subsidiary Berkshire & Eastern. Not sure what the legal name of the underlying track will be - Berkshire & Eastern, continue to be PanAm Southern, PanAmSystem, or "747 Merger Sub". If I were a betting man, I would assume the legal name would continue to be PanAmSouthern until the partnership gets dissolved.
 #1598970  by newpylong

CSX and B&E dispatchers will be at Iron Horse.

PAS remains the legal name, that is the name of the company who owns the track now. ST (now owned by CSXT) is the current operator and will remain until B&E takes over.
Last edited by newpylong on Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1598973  by johnpbarlow

Whoever manages the CSX train log at the Westfield and Chester Live Cams on YouTube indicates a Q426 came east overnight on the B&A (ie 6/2/22 - 6/3/22) led by 4 AC4400 units with ACSES PTC that is destined for Portland. According to discussion on the "CSX Northern New England + G&W Berkshire & Eastern Railfans (Former Pan Am)" FaceBook page , this Q426 should be heading up the Worcester Main later on Friday given CSX sent a Q426 up to Ayer last night.

Also note a W003 geometry train came east to Worcester overnight and is heading up the Worcester main as of 0700 Friday 6/3/22.
Attachments:
CSX W003 Track Geo GP40WH-2 Chester 060222.JPG
CSX W003 Track Geo GP40WH-2 Chester 060222.JPG (162.99 KiB) Viewed 3362 times
CSX June 2 trainlog.jpg
CSX June 2 trainlog.jpg (221.22 KiB) Viewed 3362 times
 #1598978  by csxt5001

Wondering what is going to happen with Mattawamkeag if CP will give CSX the boot and stop hauling the traffic or if CSX will start running to Keag themselves, I would imagine track conditions would need improvements.
 #1599014  by neman2

CSX geometry train with MEC 5963 and CSX 9969 power EB through CPF 307 Westford at approximately 2:05 pm, passed EDPO with 5 MEC power getting ready to leave Westford on track #2. According to posts on GRS sightings group AYPO (or Q426) with CSX power was ahead of the geometry train.
 #1599203  by bostontrainguy

CSX's new map on their website (https://www.csx.com/) regarding the PAR takeover seems to show trackage rights on the NBM north of Millinocket. Pan Am does not show any such rights on their system maps. Did they obtain these somehow during negotiations?

Map for reference next posting:
Last edited by bostontrainguy on Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1599304  by PBMcGinnis

BandA wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:13 pm
johnpbarlow wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:01 am Here's text of what appears to be a letter from CSX to CSX/Pan Am customers that was posted on Trainorders.com -...
Are CSX tariffs higher or lower than PAR's?
Very little traffic moves on "public tariffs" anymore outside of grain and animal feed.

Most Shippers have year long contracts that won't expire until next year.
 #1599319  by BandA

CSX is going to invest a lot of money. They will get more efficiency, but usually when a larger national company comes in, they expect a higher return on investment, which often leads to price increases. Although with high inflation I imagine even CSX doesn't have tons of pricing power.
 #1599322  by newpylong

Time will tell but not necessarily. CSXT has far more operating efficiencies and materials and fuel will be cheaper due to higher volume.