Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Frank Hicks

I'm looking for information on some of the South Shore cars currently at East Troy, in particular cars 24, 25 and 30. What is the ownership history of these cars after they were sold by the South Shore? The current East Troy outfit wasn't created until about 1988, so they must have been owned by another organization for at least a few years. Any information is appreciated - thanks!

Frank Hicks
http://www.bera.org/pnaerc.html

by MikeF

I don't know any specific details about the cars in question, but weren't there a handful of cars stored at Shops in the mid-'80s "awaiting disposition"? Perhaps 24, 25 and 30 were among them, and were procured by the current East Troy group in the late '80s? Just a guess. Next time I see Jerry I'll ask if he knows anything about them.

by Tadman

I remember being a little kid at shops in the late 80's, before NICTD really cleaned up the yard, and there were four Pullmans stored on a now non-existant track running just to the north of the old shop, protruding out into the employee parking lot northwest of the old shop.

A much foggier memory has some other traction passenger equipment laying around during the 80's - not sure where it was from or what it was, but some type of MU's belonging to another road originally. Maybe CTA 4000 series or Reading blueliners - but neither was operable on the propery, so I'm puzzled.

by MikeF

Tadman, you're remembering some CTA 4000-series cars that were stored at Shops for a while. They were destined for a museum somewhere but I don't think they ever made it there.

Frank, I talked to Jerry today. He says 24, 25 and 30 went to East Troy shortly after retirement. So, they must have been purchased by the previous East Troy group.

by Frank Hicks

MikeF wrote:Frank, I talked to Jerry today. He says 24, 25 and 30 went to East Troy shortly after retirement. So, they must have been purchased by the previous East Troy group.
Thanks for looking into it. I wonder whether they were owned by TWERHS though? For some reason I thought that the 28 was the only South Shore car TWERHS owned - and even it was only used as a gift shop. Maybe Paul Averdung's pre-ETER group (Wisconsin Trolley Museum) owned 24, 25 and 30?

Frank Hicks