Railroad Forums 

• Crew Assignments DL&W West End Phoebe Snow

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#88851  by Cactus Jack

How did crew assignments work for the Phoebe Snow jobs west of Binghamton ?

Say an engine crew came out of Buffalo eastbound on #2. I think they went to Elmira (trainmen went to Binghamton). What job did they turn on ?

Were there both Elmira and Buffalo based engine crews working #1 & #2?

I also understand that Elmira men could work both east and west, a definite advantage over Buffalo based men when DL&W operations merged with the Erie.
 #88895  by henry6

Engine crews worked Hoboken to Scranton, Scranton to Elmira and Elmira to Buffalo. Train crews varied. Most did Hoboken to Binghamton and Binghamton to Buffalo but there were some who only did Hoboken To Scranton and Scanton to Elmira.

#89112  by Cactus Jack

Henry6, thanks but I did know that.

I was more into how did the actual crew assignment work out of Elmira west and Buffalo east.

If the Phoebe was eastbound out of Buffalo did it have a Buffalo terminal man at the throttle, or was it an Elmira man returning home ? Regardless, of that, what train did the Elmira man go west on to turn on #2, or what train would the Buffalo man return west on ? Were passenger engineers on trains such as #1 & #2 ever turned on freight assignments ??

Did Buffalo men even ever crew #1 & #2 ??

Kind of wondering how it all worked
 #89180  by henry6

...your looking for home terminals. And that probably varied from trainmaster to trainmaster and superintendent to superintendent as did the division posts, too. I would unhesitatingly say that #2 engine crew returned on #3 (westbound Phoebe Snow) so it would follow then that 6 would turn on on 5, 8 on 7, but 10 on 15? or would that be a crew turnaround in Buffalo 15 to 10? Interesting thought. I do know freight crews that worked out of all locations with certain jobs "owned". Good luck in finding out more (and more certainty).