• crash course: EJE and IHB and BRC

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by Otto Vondrak

I'm wondering if I can't scare up some EJE and IHB (and maybe some BRC) action while I have hours to kill in Chicago tomorrow. Can someone point me to some resources? Any safe locations I could catch EJE or IHB trains in action? I'd like to be able to photograph EJE and IHB power, and possibly IHB cabooses... how's Blue Island?

I obviously don't know what I'm talking about so any help is appreciated :-)

-otto-
  by Rockingham Racer

I used to live in Blue Island. Broadway St. is where the action is in that town. It's the junction of the IHB, B&OCT and GTW. There's a gatetender at the crossing up in a tower, and the interlocking control tower, operated by the GTW, is to the west of the crossing. One of the hot spots in Chicago's South suburbs. You may also see an IAIS move , which comes down off the Metra RI line; the latter crosses these lines on an overhead bridge.
  by Otto Vondrak

Arrived at Midway, drove around Clearing Yard, saw one CN train, couldn't photograph it. I got some shots of the Metra Electric at 11th Street/Museum down by Grant Park. Whipped through Joliet and checked out the station, then headed up to Lake Forest for my conference. Headed over to Rondout and the EJE/Metra crossing. I saw a lot of cool stuff, wasn't really in position to shoot most of it. Hope to return to Chicago soon and have more time to explore.

-otto-