Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1564584  by Bracdude181

@Tanker1497 Your either thinking of Luxfer Magtech or Goldschmidt Rail Tech. Not sure if Goldschmidt could get cars. They manufacture MOW equipment it seems.
 #1564587  by Bracdude181

@Tanker1497 I was thinking just that. I knew someone was complaining about the Trump graffiti all over it XD.

Going back to think it over, maybe Seashore Lines wants to reopen the line between Chatsworth and Woodmansie? Ocean Spray could get cars but that’s about it. Railcar storage is about the only other thing they could do along this stretch of track.......
 #1564590  by CharlieL

Bracdude181 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:11 pm @Tanker1497 Your either thinking of Luxfer Magtech or Goldschmidt Rail Tech. Not sure if Goldschmidt could get cars. They manufacture MOW equipment it seems.
Orgo-Thermit. There are 2 or 3 related companies on that site.
 #1564595  by Bracdude181

@CharlieL Oh yea, they are there too. Thanks for reminding me. Always wondered if any of those places could get cars. As it stands there aren’t that many potential customers between South Lakewood and Lakehurst. Minus the two very large asphalt plants in Manchester. They look like they could get cars in daily!
 #1564700  by JohnFromJersey

Still haven't gotten any answers about the Route 72 bridge.
  • If they intend to use a few miles south of Woodmansie for rail car storage, why would they give a serious facelift to that bridge? It can't just be because of the Trump graffiti...
  • Where did anyone hear about Clayton being sold?
  • If C&D got grant money, and Clayton got sold, what does this mean for CMSL?
 #1564713  by R&DB

JohnFromJersey wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:09 pm Still haven't gotten any answers about the Route 72 bridge.
  • If they intend to use a few miles south of Woodmansie for rail car storage, why would they give a serious facelift to that bridge? It can't just be because of the Trump graffiti...
The NJ DoT owns the bridge and under a "D" gubmint it is entirely possible that the graffiti was the reason for the facelift. Especially after what happened on Jan. 6th. Any railroad associated reason was most likely not considered.

I have no information about a sale of Clayton's property, but I don't see why they would sell it after spending $$ last year to rebuild it. And with the upcoming Portal Bridge project looming, why would they sell? (With Gateway in the Future)

D&D, a subsidiary of C&D got the grant. We still don't know what the grant is for as the State has not disclosed the full text and has not, as yet, responded to a FOIA request. Speculation seems to be connecting the Freehold Industrial Track and the Southern Secondary through the OOS section between Oakerson Rd. and Farmingdale. Who would be operating the line is not clear. The State DoT seems to have a good relationship with D&D in Northern NJ, so we may be witnessing an evolution in Central NJ rail service. Bye Bye Csao, hello D&D? Time will tell.
One more thing about the grant, it specifically states that it will impact Ocean, Monmouth and Middlesex Counties, The FIT is in Monmouth and Middlesex and the Southern is in Monmouth and Ocean.
 #1564714  by NJTMonmouthCoastline

R&DB wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:21 pm
JohnFromJersey wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:09 pm Still haven't gotten any answers about the Route 72 bridge.
The NJ DoT owns the bridge and under a "D" gubmint it is entirely possible that the graffiti was the reason for the facelift. Especially after what happened on Jan. 6th. Any railroad associated reason was most likely not considered.

I have no information about a sale of Clayton's property, but I don't see why they would sell it after spending $$ last year to rebuild it. And with the upcoming Portal Bridge project looming, why would they sell? (With Gateway in the Future)

D&D, a subsidiary of C&D got the grant. We still don't know what the grant is for as the State has not disclosed the full text and has not, as yet, responded to a FOIA request. Speculation seems to be connecting the Freehold Industrial Track and the Southern Secondary through the OOS section between Oakerson Rd. and Farmingdale. Who would be operating the line is not clear. The State DoT seems to have a good relationship with D&D in Northern NJ, so we may be witnessing an evolution in Central NJ rail service. Bye Bye Csao, hello D&D? Time will tell.
That graffiti had nothing to do with the bridge being repainted & prepared for some rail activity.

Also the rumors from Coast Line Railfan haven’t been true or confirmed.

It wouldn’t make sense for C&D to come down here if we have CMSL who owns part of the line in Manchester.

Btw don’t get me started with politics on this forum & btw we shouldn’t talk about politics at all unless it relates to the railroad.

We also have Conrail South Jersey where technically they can restore the line between Winslow Jct to Lakehurst if they want too.
 #1564716  by R&DB

It wouldn’t make sense for C&D to come down here if we have CMSL who owns part of the line in Manchester.
Clayton Block and Sand owns the line from Union Avenue in Lakehurst to the Woodland Plant in Woodmansie.
NJSL is the designated operator of that line by Clayton.
No rail company is going to be using that bridge any time soon. There are exactly zero customers along that line. The face lift was cosmetic.
 #1564720  by Bracdude181

Wouldn’t a crew have come in and strengthened the bridge to take the weight of 286,000 pound freight cars if they were gonna reopen the entire line? They haven’t done that from what I can tell.

@R&DB In Chatsworth there’s a Company called Ocean Spray who distributes cranberries grown at the nearby farms. My friend says they truck the cranberries up to Boston. They could get cars, but I’m not sure exactly how they’d go about doing it.
 #1564724  by David

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:20 pm

@R&DB In Chatsworth there’s a Company called Ocean Spray who distributes cranberries grown at the nearby farms. My friend says they truck the cranberries up to Boston. They could get cars, but I’m not sure exactly how they’d go about doing it.
Yes, Bracdude 181--The talk is, a rail yard in Chatsworth and Ocean Spray, one of a few companies to use it. Also storage of sand cars. Nothing here in stone but it would make sense.
 #1564727  by Bracdude181

@David A train yard in Chatsworth? I didn’t even think that was possible! Has me wondering if there will be more people than just Ocean Spray interested in using the line.......
 #1564731  by David

There was a very small one there before. Some of the tracks are still there.
 #1564736  by Bracdude181

@David Yes, the main and a siding is still there. Very interesting to see that they are talking about reopening the yard. Didn’t think there was enough people out there to justify that...