Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1581036  by Tanker1497

"I dunno what fantasy land this happened in, but there is no way in hell that myself or any of the other railroaders I work with are asking railfans how to do our jobs."

@cr9617 Here in lies the problem... railfans living vicariously in a dream land that no one else has a invite too!
 #1581039  by Bracdude181

@Tanker1497 Imagine if some of those dreams were real life though.

Would it be the best thing ever? Or would it be Premium Grade A+ Nightmare Fuel? Lol
 #1581060  by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers

I mean if I’m going to be completely honest, If I was a crew member, I wouldn’t be too thrilled seeing people chase the train for 8-12 hours straight, every crossing, etc. I mean I think “no photos/videos” is extreme, but if someone is doing that for 12+ hours, I can see how the wrong crew could get a little grumpy. Anyway, I think we’ve been pretty lucky with friendly crews for the past few years though!

Although, I must say chasing is a fun and a unique experience, but I doubt a lot of grumpy crews view it that way. And like tanker said, you mess up once, it’s likely going to be on the internet!
 #1581075  by GSC

I can understand some crews getting testy about constantly being watched. I worked a few railfan trips on engine crews and had endless requests for lots of smoke, poses with rods-down for better pics (pose my engine for you?), can we come up to the cab and pretty much be in your way for fifteen minutes, etc. without thinking of what we are doing mainly for your entertainment.

I tend to just show up at a crossing somewhere and lean on my car and watch the train go by. A once-a-week trip down the Southern is a special treat to see and I see no reason to be a nuisance to those trying to do their jobs. For me, seeing anything on the Southern brings back memories of CNJ JS1/SJ2 through freights, sand trains, etc.

Maybe I have a little better idea of operations from working fantrips and museum operations, but I'm not one to get in the way of working men doing their jobs, no matter what their jobs might be.

Be safe out there.
 #1581095  by Bracdude181

Looks like a car for Marjam as well.

So if the front boxcar is for Extech then it’s one for Extech, 12 for Woodhaven, and one for Marjam.

Approaching Sycamore Ave 3:47 PM