Railroad Forums 

• CP-Sully NS Lehigh Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1256661  by wolfboy8171981

At 10am Tuesday March 11th, CP-Sully on the NS Lehigh Line was placed in service at MP 39.6. The former Royce Running Track is now designated as #1 Main and the former Single Main is now designated as #2 main.
 #1256721  by RailsEast

Thanks, Wolf, appreciate the heads-up; would have preferred 'CP Royce' since the control point is on the western end of the old runner at Roycefield Rd., but that's the history buff in me. Any reason why 'Sully' was chosen?
Chris
 #1256905  by kilroy

I know the control points on the Chemcial Coast Line were renamed for NS employees. I suspect this might be the case here.
 #1256951  by wolfboy8171981

kilroy wrote:I know the control points on the Chemcial Coast Line were renamed for NS employees. I suspect this might be the case here.
The Control points on the Chemical coast were named for Conrail managers. "Sully" was named for John Sullivan a locomotive engineer from the NS (ex-EL) that passed away before his retirement.
 #1256973  by RailsEast

Then a fitting tribute, indeed; thanks, Wolf, your insight is much appreciated, as always.
Chris
 #1257106  by train2

Several search lights around the area were also replaced with new tri-lights as well in this upgrade.
 #1266951  by bbobes327

Does anybody know what the milepost is for the double track cantilever signal they put in just east of CP SULLY?

From this picture it looks like the number under the signal is 372S ? If that's true then I guess the signals would be labelled 372S/371S and 372N/371N right? Anybody know? lol

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 032&nseq=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1267323  by RailsEast

If it is the 372 signal, then it is MP 37.2 on the Lehigh Line; just east of here, the bridge over Main St. in Manville is marked 36.41, and the mile markers increase as you go west. I have yet to get out there myself, but I would guess that the sign reads 3725, as in MP 37.25.

And, approval of CP SULLY duly noted in the annals of rr.net..... :)

Chris
 #1267822  by wolfboy8171981

RailsEast wrote:If it is the 372 signal, then it is MP 37.2 on the Lehigh Line; just east of here, the bridge over Main St. in Manville is marked 36.41, and the mile markers increase as you go west. I have yet to get out there myself, but I would guess that the sign reads 3725, as in MP 37.25.

And, approval of CP SULLY duly noted in the annals of rr.net..... :)

Chris
should be 372W/371W and 372E/371E . In double (and triple) track territory the last digit is usually the track number and the letter the direction of travel. The Lehigh Line is East/West