Railroad Forums 

• Corvette plant in Bowling Green

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1356561  by dhaugh

This summer I toured the Corvette manufacturing plant in Bowling Green KY & noted that while there are tracks running past behind the plant, there are no apparent tracks into the plant. Does CSX load Corvettes elsewhere at all, or is this all truck business? Same for inbound loads?
 #1356669  by Backshophoss

Believe GM's Bowling Green Assembly Plant is totally truck supported,both in and out bound.
That might include the "service"(repair)parts.
 #1357426  by docsteve

Just off the top of my head, I'm not sure a Corvette could be loaded or unloaded from a multi-level car using ramps.

A couple of years ago I had to transport mine, so I rented a trailer from U-Haul. They first asked me if I was moving a Corvette, and then told me to review the special procedures on thier website. The problem is the long, low nose.

I think they have a bit more leeway in adjusting the truck ramps, keeping them flatter.

S
 #1371581  by sd80mac

no company want to put their high end on trains. they don't trust them to haul their high end vehicles safe and undamaged..

I worked at one of these unloading area and I never seen any expensive vehicles such as corvette, Porsche, lexus, etc... I asked and they told me that they transport these in the enclosed trucks (the one you see articulated trucks with tarp around the trailers).
 #1371752  by RichM

FWIW, years ago they moved by rail... I vividly recall seeing the 1974's moving along the West Shore near the NY/NJ border. Open three deck carriers. First time I saw the "pushed in" rear end design. But that was at latest four body style changes ago.