Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1613338  by NHV 669

Because previous equipment moves to Conway Scenic have been stored there, especially during the winter. Rhonda Lee was stored for several months up at the car shop/yard in N. Stratford.
 #1613391  by NHV 669

When SLR hands the car off at Groveton.

There isn't any kind of schedule for these moves, they happen when CSRX/NHCR can coordinate a handoff at Hazens. Then there's the issue of likely having to shove the car a dozen or so miles due to not having a runaround track between Hazens and Fabyan.
 #1613392  by Drewby27

NHV 669 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:08 am When SLR hands the car off at Groveton.

There isn't any kind of schedule for these moves, they happen when CSRX/NHCR can coordinate a handoff at Hazens. Then there's the issue of likely having to shove the car a dozen or so miles due to not having a runaround track between Hazens and Fabyan.
Why would it come in via SLR? I thought you said it was coming from Maine which is why I'm confused as to why it would go to NHCR in the first place.. I live in Lancaster and have been trying to catch the train going through for years, that's why I was wondering if anyone knew when the move was happening.
 #1613395  by Who

New Hampshire Central is the only link to the national rail network, so all fright comes in and goes out by way of the SLR, after interchange with New Hampshire Central.
I really don't think this car will be deliver until Spring or Summer, NHC's tracks starting at the Upper Ammonoosuc River in Groveton, going all the way down to Hazen in Whitefield and beyond, becomes a snow mobile corridor January 1st to March 31st. The Conway Scenic has two other snowmobile corridors on their tracks from Albany Ave in Bartlett, west to Sawyer River and again from Fabyan Station to Lennon Rd in Carroll.
 #1613402  by NHV 669

Drewby27 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:28 am Why would it come in via SLR? I thought you said it was coming from Maine which is why I'm confused as to why it would go to NHCR in the first place.. I live in Lancaster and have been trying to catch the train going through for years, that's why I was wondering if anyone knew when the move was happening.
As Who mentioned, NHCR is the only way to reach CSRX from the national network; every move in and out has gone this way for the last 20+ years.

Kind of hard to catch a move on the branch, when there's no more "regular" freight traffic.
 #1613404  by Drewby27

NHV 669 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:14 pm CSRX has acquired former RBBX 43004, it is stenciled as CSRX 400019. Car was on the rear of today's M426 into Maine. The car is originally a 44 seat coach built as UP 5533.
Right here you said it was in Maine.... Unless I misunderstood you originally, my bad.
 #1613408  by NHV 669

I did. You have to get to Danville Jct. and take the SLR west from Maine to get to Groveton.... there's nothing confusing about that route. It's not like there's any other option to get up here from the former B&M/MEC down south....
 #1613425  by CSRR573

NHV 669 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:08 am Then there's the issue of likely having to shove the car a dozen or so miles due to not having a runaround track between Hazens and Fabyan.
Wouldn't they just send an engine up from N. Conway Lite then pull it back normally all the way from Hazens? And just being pedantic here. the siding at Carrol(I think thats what its called) could be used as a run around if they ever restored it :wink: :wink:
 #1613427  by NHV 669

You're right. I think that situation occurred with the Rhonda Lee because they had to send the 1751 all the way to Groveton to grab it.

Not aware of that siding name, is that the one at Lennon Road?
 #1613453  by Drewby27

Wouldn't NHCR and CSRX just do what they did with the recent dome car move back in August and make the swap at Hazens? If they send CSRX all the way up to N. Stratford to pick up the new car wouldn't they need an NHCR pilot to go all the way up there?
 #1613456  by NHV 669

That would be the plan, if 205 is at Groveton, or can be moved when they need it to be. No CSRX employee would be operating west/north of Hazens..... neither RR is qualified to operate over the SLR.

There's absolutely zero reason a CSRX unit would need to go all the way to North Stratford, the issue arises from whether NHCR has a unit in Groveton or can have one moved there in time. It would be NHCR crew operating between Hazens and Groveton, regardless of what power they're using.