Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1587290  by NHV 669

I'd hope not, why would anyone take on a job for such a pitifully low wage at the present time? How do you expect to pay $1000+ rent per month (if you can find a place), on $13/hour?
 #1587303  by backroadrails

One of the long time disputes between the train crews and management was that Conway doesn't pay into railroad retirement. That issue was there long before the current ownership arrived in the valley, but in the grand scheme of things has pushed a lot of the trained personnel to other railroads.
 #1587375  by Jonathan

Just an interesting article about the 7470 and the reasons that it didn't run this year.

https://railfan.com/conway-scenic-7470- ... -charters/

It's important to note that the problems that it had were only minor issues, and to quote someone's comment "Do you want it fast and cheap for one weekend, or done right? I'll choose done right." If it's done right, 7470 has many years of service left in her.
 #1587410  by NHV 669

The same reason we've all known about for six months plus.

"Fast and cheap" has nothing to do with it, I would find it rather hard to maintain multiple locomotives and equipment when you only have one full time guy fixing things and have to constantly pay extra for contractors to come in for other work.
Locating a workable fix is clearly still the issue. I wouldn't consider cobbing parts off of non-tender cars "done right", but if it works and makes 7470 operable, that's all that matters.
 #1587734  by Pat Fahey

Hi
I was just up on the Mass Bay Railroad enthusiasts web page, and they have canceled Steam in the Snow, because of the uncertainty of CNR # 7470.
I also do agree with the above posts FAST & CHEAP is not the way to go, whether its with Steam or Diesel, or the passenger equipment.
Yes I understand because of Covid, a lot of things have changed, but I do agree with, paying a fair wage, with the help they do have. You can't run a tourist line on a shoestring, if you do you are looking forward to another Gettysburg, accident.
Conway Scenic, is it going Downhill????? Pat.
 #1588031  by PBMcGinnis

backroadrails wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:54 pm One of the long time disputes between the train crews and management was that Conway doesn't pay into railroad retirement. That issue was there long before the current ownership arrived in the valley, but in the grand scheme of things has pushed a lot of the trained personnel to other railroads.
I can't name a single tourist line (meaning NO FREIGHT REVENUE - just passenger excursions) that would pay into Railroad Retirement. Working at a tourist line may be a good starting point for getting on-hands railroad experience, but if you are looking for the 30-year Pot of Gold, you eventually have to sign on with a full time freight or passenger/commuter railroad. Tourist Lines wouldn't be able to exist if they had to pay into RRR.

Again - freight railroads that dabble in tourism are a different story. The freight revenues are what drives the majority of the profits at those railroads.
 #1588160  by NHV 669

The same question could be asked of 252, which is apparently moving under its own power once again, and is getting a shakedown run or two in.

Ran a Polar Express job solo tonight.
 #1588213  by b&m 1566

Jonathan wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:06 pm Just an interesting article about the 7470 and the reasons that it didn't run this year.

https://railfan.com/conway-scenic-7470- ... -charters/

It's important to note that the problems that it had were only minor issues, and to quote someone's comment "Do you want it fast and cheap for one weekend, or done right? I'll choose done right." If it's done right, 7470 has many years of service left in her.
It sounds like they have every intention to restore the original trucks when money allows. In the meantime, the temporary trucks will allow them to continue to operate the engine.
Instead of recasting the trucks, the railroad plans on using a pair of trucks off an old coal hopper. The replacement trucks will not look completely accurate for the CN 0-6-0 but they will work until the money is secured to restore the originals.
 #1588296  by shadyjay

On Conway Scenic's Facebook page in the past day or two, I have seen videos of #7470 up and running on test runs, and on another, the #252 operational once again (paired with #255).
 #1588422  by NHV 669

Power for today's train will be 255-252, based on a post this morning that also indicates 7470 had a minor cab fire:
Conway Scenic Railroad wrote:Lucky break!

This morning a fire started in the cab of steam locomotive 7470. At this point, the cause is believed to have stemmed from a fault with the engine radio. The fire damaged a spring in the whistle valve that set off the engine whistle. The shrieking whistle alerted our steam locomotive mechanic who called 911.

While there is minor damage to 7470's cab, and minimal damage to the 1874-built roundhouse, the situation could have been much worse. You could write a story: "the engine that saved itself".