Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1579348  by NHV 669

Amidst all the motive power issues, Governor Sununu was on property yesterday and took part in the dedicating of the Mt. Willard car to be renamed in honor of Master Carpenter George B. Small.
 #1579351  by b&m 1566

I wonder if the governor made a stop in Ossipee on his way to, or from N. Conway? Friends of the Ossipee Rail Trail (FORT for short), have made quite a stir the last few months and DOT has heard them, expect the state to send out another RFP between now and the beginning of next year. It sounds like Hobbs Tavern & Brewery and Mountainview Station Restaurant are two big supporters of the rail-trail. If we're ever going to see the Conway Branch restored, this will be the last chance. I have heard the Cotton Valley Rail Trail Club is trying to get involved with the hopes of keeping the rail in place. Right now FORT's focus is from Ossipee Station to Mt. Whittier Station but I have heard they plan to reach out to Madison to extend the trail north to Madison Station and beyond.
 #1580298  by Jonathan

Based on what i'm hearing from people close to the railroad, the tender truck crack on 7470 is not new. It was on every O-18a in 1921 and the new operations manager deemed the engine unsafe when he saw it EVEN THOUGH its been running that way for 50 years.
 #1580407  by Cowford

Jonathan wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:43 pm Based on what i'm hearing from people close to the railroad, the tender truck crack on 7470 is not new. It was on every O-18a in 1921 and the new operations manager deemed the engine unsafe when he saw it EVEN THOUGH its been running that way for 50 years.
50 years? According to you, it's been that way for 100 years. With respect, that's nonsense. I think what you may have heard and/or misinterpreted is the fact that a replacement bolster was sought, and they, too, were found to be cracked.
 #1580505  by jbvb

I'd expect 7470's current trucks to ride better than Bettendorf-style freight trucks. Because of the difference in design, there might be clearance issues if the two types have different center bearing plate heights.
 #1580516  by b&m 1566

If in fact there is a known defect in the design of these trucks, it would not make any sense to acquire the same trucks with a known defect, they will (at some point) end up right back in the same situation they are in now, whether it's a year or 50 years later. Would it be better to fabricate new, or would that be too costly?
 #1580544  by S1f3432

Several of the well known steam restoration shops- Strasburg, Age of Steam, Tennessee Valley, etc-
routinely post photos of the work they've accomplished and much of it is impressive. Between modern
welding technique and the ability to make new castings I'm sure there is a solution to this problem.
The bigger issue may be if there is the will to solve the problem on the part of CSRR. The truck is a common
widely used design in both freight and passenger service. Purhaps someone who communicates with
the powers that be at Conway Scenic should just ask them?
 #1580585  by b&m 1566

It is 1,472 service days or 15 years, which ever comes first. The clock starts as soon as the FRA inspector certifies the boiler, and a banked fire is included in the service days, so even if the engine doesn't turn a wheel it still counts as one of the 1,472 days. I'm sure if I'm wrong, someone will correct me.

Edit: I forgot to add that railroads can file for extensions, the Conway Scenic did and received one on the last cert. If my memory is correct, they were given 30 service days or 6 months, from the initial expiration, which ever came first.
 #1580598  by BandA

If you stored the 7470 in a climate-controlled low-humidity environment, (cement floor, a/c or dehumidifier, even one of those pen recorders that draw on a circular chart which I haven't seen since the 1980s), with boiler vacuum cleaned, then they should be entitled to generous extensions. What is the cost of a fancy storage shed vs. a boiler rebuild?

Are freight trucks from a scrapped diesel "good enough" for a coal tender or too risky? Like fixing a Model T with parts from an F150...
 #1580609  by BM1566GP7

The Strausburg RR does contract work, in addition to the work on their own steam locos. They likely could fabricate any and all parts needed to get the 7470 tender up to regulation. The tender might have to be shipped to PA.

Maybe the MASS BAY RRE knows someting we don't They are advertising the Steam in the Snow trip on January 2, 2022. Click this URL. http://www.massbayrre.org/events.htm