Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1574618  by EastYorkTrainFaan

NHV 669 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:11 am With the fleet running short at the moment, perhaps lessening the workload on the high hoods? Definitely agree they're missing out on extra dollars, don't the Conway runs sell well?
I'm not sure I get what you mean they curetly have three hugh hoods that they can use 573 which is primarily used for the valley trainss as it doesn't have dynamic braking.
216 is used on the Montaner usually on its own when the train is short or the conditions are dry and they don't need a second engine it used to alternate with 252 but it's currently out of service. 1751 is used as a spare for both the valley and the montiner as it has dynamic breaks as well.

4266 is used sometimes but usually only as a backup or with another engine as it's hard to see out of the cab when it's going in reverse. It will probably see more use once 4268 is available for use

216 is primarily used on the mountaineer because it has duel controls in the cab
 #1574648  by NHV 669

4266 is having panels replaced, so it's not currently available.

Three locomotives isn't a lot, when you consider they're already marketing three trains. My point was that the scheduling probably allows them to take less of a hit if one of those three goes down with an issue.
 #1574682  by b&m 1566

I'm almost certain the schedule looks the way it does because of staffing. BTW, They have updated the schedule again since my last post and have added 3:30 departures to Conway on all days, so they must be tweaking the schedule still. Hopefully they can add more Mountaineer Departures or at least add one for the 4th of July, it's a long weekend and it will be a very busy one.
Side note: I spoke to a manager at the Omni Mt. Washington a few weeks back, Fabyan Station will remain closed there is no time frame for when it will reopen, they cannot find enough help to open it.
 #1577266  by b&m 1566

I learned over the weekend that 252 will be getting shipped out for an engine rebuild, I didn't ask about the details of what will be done or where it will be going. I can only assume the shipment will be coordinated with the delivery of 470 RR clubs engine #72. I don't know when that move will take place, I guess they are waiting on track work to be finish up on the New Hampshire Central tracks.
 #1577295  by NHV 669

It's apparently headed for CAD in Montreal, sometime this month.

They did some bridge work replacing timbers on the span by the pond near the airport, they've been busy between Groveton and Hazens the last two months.
 #1577331  by CSRR573

b&m 1566 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:53 am I learned over the weekend that 252 will be getting shipped out for an engine rebuild, I didn't ask about the details of what will be done or where it will be going. I can only assume the shipment will be coordinated with the delivery of 470 RR clubs engine #72. I don't know when that move will take place, I guess they are waiting on track work to be finish up on the New Hampshire Central tracks.
ive heard that as well. theyll swap the 72 and 252 at hazens, sometime this month
 #1578339  by NHV 669

Looks like it's a normal operating schedule, just a Saturday Mountaineer to Crawford, a Bartlett run to Sawyer River, and the Conway train. Only the Bartlett and Conway runs are shown for Sunday.
 #1578426  by b&m 1566

They operated a freight train special back in May, in replace of Railfan's Weekend and they got rid of the "Events" section on their website.
It appears things are not going so well at the railroad, the barebones operation we are seeing this year, I originally thought was Covid related (lack of employment, etc.) but now with people starting to vent their frustrations on social media, the issue might be more than just Covid.
 #1578783  by Pat Fahey

Hi
I t has been a while has any word come out from the general manager of Conway Scenic, on how the tender truck frame will be repaired. I understand that the railroad, is busy, now that Covid has settled down and people are are listening to their State and federal guidelines.
And I also agree with the other posts, the CNR 7470 is not needed at this time, but it would be good to see her back under steam in the near future.
 #1578790  by b&m 1566

I haven't seen or heard anything official. The rumor mill I have heard, is that they are hopeful to have the repairs done in time to offer a Steam in the Snow excursion.
 #1578800  by CSRR573

backroadrails wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:57 pm The railroad looks like it has been run down over the past year. When I went to conway back in June, the yard looked like my local transfer station with trash, junk vehicles, and scrap laying around.
Agreed. When i was there in May it looked like a total chaotic mess. I think they should concentrate more on the railroad then buying busses and firetrucks. Hopefully we're not seeing the railroad take an Edaville turn
 #1579057  by Arborwayfan

I thought the ski trains and the daily Mountaineers were a sign of active management willing try out new ideas and run more trains. I'll be surprised if it turns out they aren't interesting in maintaining what they bought. I'll reserve judgement until Covid is really past.
 #1579144  by BM1566GP7

Conway Scenic spent 18 months rebuilding the historic Gertrude Emma observation car, both structurally and cosmeticcally and have just returned coach 6745. Mount Williard, to service after an interior rebuild and other work.
Needed repairs to the 7470 and the 252 will involve expert mechanical work, for which the CSRX probably does not have qualified workers. For the 7470, an outside contractor will be needed to fabricate a new bolster for the tender. As far as the 252 goes, I have not seen the details of the engine failure. Can it be rebuilt or will it need to be replaced? At any rate, either expert diesel engine mechanics would either have to be brought in to North Conway, or the engine shipped elsewhere for the work. So far, at least, CSRX does not spend the dollars necessary for this project.