Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1558927  by Arborwayfan

Sadly, that's probably sensible. Bringing a bunch of people from different places to hang out together on a train for a few hours may not the be the most dangerous thing that ever happened, but it's an unnecessary risk -- and, on the other hand, a financial risk for the RR if hardly anyone showed up. The various other trains they are running -- Santa trains, general excursions -- probably draw mostly local people, or people who were going up to that part of NH anyway, so the cause less infection risk, and I assume running some diesel excursions on the valley lines is a lot lest costly that getting 7470 ready for one big winter day.
 #1560049  by b&m 1566

I just stumbled across this article about the Conway Bypass project, it's a few months old but I'm just seeing it for the first time.
During the development of the 2021-30 Ten Year Transportation Improvement Plan ... the Conway Bypass project was removed from the Ten Year Plan. ... Accordingly, the Department will advance a request to the Governor and Executive Council to formally dissolve the project layout," Sheehan wrote in her letter dated Sept 4.
Lack of funding, changes in traffic expectations and non-inclusion in the state’s 10-year highway transportation plan this past summer were all reasons for the decision, Sheehan wrote.

Although it really had nothing to do with the Conway Scenic, it would have affected the railroad with one of their most scenic vistas being destroyed, had this been built. The design of the by-pass had it going in between North South Rd and the train tracks, before crossing over via an overpass and stretching across the northern section of Pudding Pond. In addition to that, the bypass would've gone right through Whitaker Woods, crossing over the Mt. and Conway Branch near or at Mt. Junction. I'm very happy to learn this is officially dead.
 #1560127  by b&m 1566

This years event is called "Winter Steam" and is being put on by the railroad, last time I looked there were only 3 tickets left. "Steam in the Snow" belongs to Mass Bay Railroad Enthusiast and they canceled the event this year, due to Covid-19. What I find interesting is that the Conway Scenic is showcasing "Winter Steam", as the "1st Annual", not sure what will happen with "Steam in the Snow", also showcased as an "Annual" trip. Maybe they'll have two different events going forward, with each event being uniquely different.
 #1560218  by BandA

NHV 669 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:31 am Not much for snow up here, but interesting to see Conway Scenic running more days out of the year during the cold months. Weekend Snow trains to Attitash start 1/9.
I'm sure like everybody else that is trying to be good that they are getting Cabin Fever