Railroad Forums 

• Considering FEC Conductor Position

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#922885  by chuchu01

I am considering a conductor position with the FEC and am searching for information regarding re-assignments. I currently live in Jacksonville and am interviewing next week for a conductor position in Miami. I read a part of the new agreement on the FEC main website but I am not sure I understand it and am looking for some real info from an insider.
1. Is there one seniority rooster that covers all locations or does each location have separate non interchangeable sonorities?
2. It seems as though you can rebid on assignments twice a year or as permanent vacancies happen. Does that include people in Miami bidding on permanent Jacksonville Jobs?
3. How realistic would it be to be able to transfer back to Jax within 18 months to 2 years?
4. My previous experience is with CSX and they were brutal for schedules and overall employee treatment. My initial impression of FEC is much better. True or false?
5. HR said they thought training pay was $10 per hour but she wasn't sure. I thought the contract said 70%??? Any clarification?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
 #923223  by Noel Weaver

The FEC is not a part of national agreements although the T and E people are represented by the UTU. They have one seniority district end to end. That means that somebody in JAX can bid a job in Miami if they so choose.
I think they treat their people better than CSX does but it is still the railroad. I understand they got over 250 applications for six positions so they will get to pick and choose on this one.
If you are already working for CSX I strongly advise you to stay where you are in this particular case.
Noel Weaver
 #930367  by KV1guy

Heh I remember trying to get on too. Fat chance getting into JAX, at least thats what I was told. Seniority is there as well as the outlying jobs.

BTW pretty low $$$ to start out with. Like Noel said, stay put. Or do myself and bunch of others, join Amtrak!