Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#316677  by Prairiefire

When I detrained at Olgilvie this morning at 7:25, Congressman Mark Kirk was at the station greeting the commuters getting off the UP North and UP NW lines, with a big thank you sign.

The guy must have some energy, as I assume he was up late for the election returns.

I shook his hand and asked him about his support for trains

Apparently, he believes in rail travel (he was heavily involved in the IL Amtrak expansion) and was a sponsor of 450 million for expanded Amtrak funding.

#316803  by doepack

As a representative of Illinois' 10th Congressional district which includes the suburbs along the NCS line, he was also responsible for getting Metra to revise the schedule with express train service, less than eight months after expanded service began. I can't say this about too many politicians, but his support of public transportation is lot more than just lip service and campaign promises... he actually has the track record to prove it.