Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by sullivan1985

emfinite wrote:KFRG and I made a trip up to Port Jervis yesterday evening and got some photos to post here. The Comet cars are still on the siding west of the bridge that goes over the yard next to the MoPac hopper. All of the windows are pushed out on the cars, the glass inside the cars have been broken and they have been heavily vandalized, though have not been torched yet. We encountered a homeless person under a blanket inside one of the cars, too. It's obvious someone uses these cars to bring girls to from the writings on the wall, but I won't post what they say. You'll have to go see for yourself! I uploaded a bunch of photos to my Webshots page, so check that out here: http://community.webshots.com/album/409294513zAPHtx

We also visited Suffern yard and took some shots around there which are on the Webshots page as well. Overall, it was a pretty cool night. Check out the photos and let us know what you think.

Joe
You uding an SLR? very awesome focuing jobs on those number boards.

by emfinite

Sullivan1985, I use a Canon Digital Rebel with a 70-200mm f/4L lens. For that numberboard shot, I had it manually focused as I do most of the time.

If you guys check it out, I uploaded one shot taken from the outside of the train of graffiti in the vestibule. I suggest if anyone has a phobia of Hell, Satan, black magic, candle burning and possibly sacraficing, don't visit these cars! Consider yourself warned. There is no doubt that Satanic rituals are practiced in these cars. If I knew before I walked through the cars, I wouldn't have went inside.

Joe

by KFRG

"I suggest if anyone has a phobia of Hell, Satan, black magic, candle burning and possibly sacraficing, don't visit these cars! Consider yourself warned. There is no doubt that Satanic rituals are practiced in these cars."

LOL, you ain't kidding. I was starting to think if mabye the homeless guy in the lead car was Damian himself!

by pgengler

Aside from the missing windows, and the graffiti visible in the vestibule in that one shot, the cars look like they're in good exterior condition; if you imagine windows in there, they look better that some of the cars in revenue service today!

by Nester

Is there any reason why they are holding on to these cars? I am sure they could get some scrap money for them...

I would hope that the MTA police (or someone in MN) would get on management to do something about those cars. If someone is out there using those cars as a "sex box" or a "satanic cultural center", then it's clear to me that these cars are not properly secured.

Nester

by njtmnrrbuff

Just because those cars are out of service doesn't mean they can be considered public property. Have any vandals and arsonists got in trouble for what they have done?

by 7 Train

They shouldn't be scrapped just yet. They are only 27 years old (built 1978) and could last another 15-20 years if overhauled.

Ironic is, I saw a MN Comet I-A on display at the 1998 Hoboken Festival.

by sullivan1985

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Just because those cars are out of service doesn't mean they can be considered public property. Have any vandals and arsonists got in trouble for what they have done?
Not that I know of. It was very scary thougb to walk through them only a month and a half after I first found them and saw how horrible they had become in such a short period of time. I seriously think these should be stored in the track that leads up to the Turntable to keep them more out in the open. Possibly making morons like the people using these cars less likly to use them for whatever.

by li7039

well if NJT or MN tries to pull them the wheels will probley fall off

if there in that bad condition

by sullivan1985

li7039 wrote:well if NJT or MN tries to pull them the wheels will probley fall off

if there in that bad condition
I don't know about that. Structurally they look like they could move again, its just the outsides are covered in filth and the interiors have been re-designed.

by li7039

Mn should take some of the M1 seats that are beaing scraped and put them in the Ia s and put them back in service

by 7 Train

But it seems that Metro-North has more important things than these cars :(

by nick11a

IMO, NJT should have bought them. They'd be compatible with their Comet I and Comet IB fleet.

Ashame to see them go to waste like that especially being that they aren't that old.

Hopefully the "juiceless" arrows will one day be resurected.

by 4 Express

Well at least they didn't get scrapped.

by li7039

i just emailed the MTA about these cars when they email me back i will post it