Railroad Forums 

• Coach Cleaner Interview

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#974430  by Rdy2wrk

Back in January I went to NYC for a coach cleaners test. I finally got an email to come down and have an interview with a recruiter. Can anyone give me some pointers on what this interview may include. Anything would really help, what kind of questions are they going to be asking me and just things like that. Thanks in advance guys, as I said, anything helps.
 #974951  by truck6018

What agency are you interviewing with?

Regardless, some things to consider with any interview:

- Arrive on time! If you appointment is for 10AM, plan to get there are 9:45 the latest! Being late is a kiss of death.

- Dress to impress. You're going into a business setting for the interview, dress the part.

- Be polite and respectful.

- In many of the test sessions they give you information about the job. They may ask you about it.

- If MNR they will ask you if you object to working any time of day and working on week ends and holidays. You very well may get a schedule that these days are required.

- You may also be asked if you familiar with the bidding and bumping process.

- Anything physically related to the job. Coach cleaner is a safety sensitive position. You will have to climb into the train cars. Step over the third rail. Walk on uneven surfaces. And my personal favorite, cleaning toilets.
 #974979  by Rdy2wrk

Yea sorry truck, I realized AFTER I posted that I never said what company the interview is with. It's with MNRR. Thanks for the help. Crossing my fingers, this could be a start of something great for me.
 #975225  by truck6018

Rdy2wrk wrote:Yea sorry truck, I realized AFTER I posted that I never said what company the interview is with. It's with MNRR. Thanks for the help. Crossing my fingers, this could be a start of something great for me.
Good luck.
 #975649  by Clean Cab

Be prompt, be well dressed, and be honest. Not fully divulging past incidents has cost quite a few people the chance to work for MN.
 #998552  by Rdy2wrk

Thanks for the advice a few months ago guys. I'm pleased to tell you I'm heading down to the Graybar Building next week for my PAT and physical.
 #998867  by truck6018

Good luck. Even though you are not meeting with Metro North officials (the medical department, OHS, are contractors), being on time is still important.

As long as your in decent shape with no blatantly obvious medical problems, you should be ok. The medical exam consists of an hearing and vision tests, EKG, pulmonary function test, whiz quiz (drug test) and a once over with the PA.

The PAT consists of simulated obstacles you would experience in the scope of coach cleaners duties. Stepping along railroad ties, stepping over a third raid with a weighted bucket, pushing a mop, climbing up and down from trains, etc.
 #999085  by Rdy2wrk

Thanks truck. It has taken me 5 years of applying and harassing recruiters to finally get to where I am now. I'm looking forward to starting a career I can be proud of.
 #1006432  by Rdy2wrk

Sorry Les, I just realized my last post didn't upload. I I didn't think it was bad at all. Did you take the PAT for coach cleaner? Have you heard anything about a start date yet?
 #1360781  by Bigjohn

Rdy2wrk how did you make out with everything? Just asking cause I have a coach cleaner interview in the near future....and if you got hired when you first started did you change locations and work times everyday and did they keep you somewhat around where you live thanks