Railroad Forums 

• CNJ mainline-west of High Bridge

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1007972  by Jtgshu

Tommy5 wrote:I noticed today that the section of the cnj from asbury Ludlow station road to the bridge over asbury west portal road has been cleared. There was a nj transit brush hog sitting on the main by the bridge. Not sure what's going on with the tracks being cleared.
Hmmmmm thats interesting - last time I was out there, that was REALLY overgrown. How far east (on the NS side of things) was the track passable? I remember them storing cars out there a few years ago and it seemed like they weren't THAT far from Ludlow Station Road...anyone remember exactly how far east the cars were stored?

Just for info, Ludlow station road is the division point inbetween NJT and NS for the "Central Running track" I believe its called. Surprising that it would be an NJT piece of equipment.
 #1007985  by blockline4180

Jtgshu wrote:
Tommy5 wrote:I noticed today that the section of the cnj from asbury Ludlow station road to the bridge over asbury west portal road has been cleared. There was a nj transit brush hog sitting on the main by the bridge. Not sure what's going on with the tracks being cleared.
Hmmmmm thats interesting - last time I was out there, that was REALLY overgrown. How far east (on the NS side of things) was the track passable? I remember them storing cars out there a few years ago and it seemed like they weren't THAT far from Ludlow Station Road...anyone remember exactly how far east the cars were stored?

Just for info, Ludlow station road is the division point inbetween NJT and NS for the "Central Running track" I believe its called. Surprising that it would be an NJT piece of equipment.

Maybe NJT is readying to run express service to NY with ALP45's from Bloomsbury to New York City making all stops to Raritan then express into NY-Penn station!!
Sorry I just had too!!! :-)
 #1008130  by Tommy5

The section has been cleared to the bridge over asbury-west portal road. The brush hog was sitting 300 feet from the bridge and it was definitely nj transit. The section from the bridge to the valley station road crossing is still overgrown and at one point the tracks are buried
 #1008210  by Jtgshu

Tommy5 wrote:The section has been cleared to the bridge over asbury-west portal road. The brush hog was sitting 300 feet from the bridge and it was definitely nj transit. The section from the bridge to the valley station road crossing is still overgrown and at one point the tracks are buried
Very interesting - thanks for the report!!
 #1008221  by kman73

Several years ago I was in this area exploring the old CNJ line. The rails were severed east of Valley Station Rd at a grade crossing on a private driveway off Co Rte 643. This driveway looks like an entrance to a farm, a long gravel road just west of Parker Airport.

K
 #1008223  by Tommy5

kman73 wrote:Several years ago I was in this area exploring the old CNJ line. The rails were severed east of Valley Station Rd at a grade crossing on a private driveway off Co Rte 643. This driveway looks like an entrance to a farm, a long gravel road just west of Parker Airport.

K
I saw that the tracks were severed at that private crossing. I hope nj transit knows that before they go thru that section and end up derailing
 #1008275  by Ken W2KB

Jtgshu wrote:

I was there when the cars were stored 2 or 3 years ago. My recollection is that the eastern-most car was within a 2 or 3 carlengths of Valley Station Road. It was overgrown to the east of Valley Station Road.

Some 5 or 6 years ago on a weekend day I drove through downtown Bloomsbury and there were a couple on NJT MOW trucks parked adjacent to the Route 579 (Church Road) grade crossing. Wonder if NJT was doing work under contract for NS?
 #1008352  by Jtgshu

I was wondering, and it might be posted in the other thread, I just don't feel like looking through it....who is the owner of the tracks west of Ludlow station road? Is it NJDOT or is it NS or is it NJT?

I always thought NJDOT owned it west of Ludlow Station road (MP60.1 - end of NJT maintenance) and NS was to maintain/operate it as they needed, kinda like the Conrail Southern Secondary.

Is that true or is it some other ownership/agreement?
 #1008369  by ns3010

Jtgshu wrote:I was wondering, and it might be posted in the other thread, I just don't feel like looking through it....who is the owner of the tracks west of Ludlow station road? Is it NJDOT or is it NS or is it NJT?

I always thought NJDOT owned it west of Ludlow Station road (MP60.1 - end of NJT maintenance) and NS was to maintain/operate it as they needed, kinda like the Conrail Southern Secondary.

Is that true or is it some other ownership/agreement?
When we were in Bloomsbury a few weeks ago, wasn't there some kind of NJT sign ("No Trespassing- NJT Police", I think)at the crossing? I vaguely remember seeing something like that and we were wondering about it...

The state rail map isn't of much help (surprise). It shows passenger service ending at High Bridge, with freight service extending to about Glen Gardener. Everything west of there is shown as abandoned: http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/g ... lroads.pdf
 #1008422  by Jtgshu

The Raritan Valley Line is in service to MP54, its a "station track" from High Bridge station to MP54, which is to allow the passenger trains to stage up there when they used to before the whitehouse siding was built and to access a customer, Ruhl's Fencing I believe was its name, at I wanna say MP53.7 or somewhere around there.

So the map is more or less accurate with regards to that - I dunno when they got service or if they even exist any more, but its still in the paperwork, so a freight could go up there if they needed to.
 #1010092  by Tommy5

Ken W2KB wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:

I was there when the cars were stored 2 or 3 years ago. My recollection is that the eastern-most car was within a 2 or 3 carlengths of Valley Station Road. It was overgrown to the east of Valley Station Road.

Some 5 or 6 years ago on a weekend day I drove through downtown Bloomsbury and there were a couple on NJT MOW trucks parked adjacent to the Route 579 (Church Road) grade crossing. Wonder if NJT was doing work under contract for NS?
Found these photos I took a few years ago of this section. Eventually I'll head up to get more recent photos of the line being cleared of brush.

CNJ Valley Station Road West by whrhs2010, on Flickr

CNJ Valley Station Road by whrhs2010, on Flickr

CNJ Farm Crossing West by whrhs2010, on Flickr

CNJ Farm crossing by whrhs2010, on Flickr

CNJ Overpass 2 by whrhs2010, on Flickr

CNJ Overpass by whrhs2010, on Flickr
 #1010104  by TSTOM

Tommy -

I love these type shots !

Appears to be 132lb. heavy rail there....great to imagine CNJ trains on'em way back when doing 'track speed' !

thanks for posting them.