Railroad Forums 

• CMSL Cape May (NJ) Seashore Lines Non-Passenger Operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1583734  by NS1

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:13 pm @CR7876 They re-decked it but didn’t fix the pilings underneath which are still damaged from when SA91 parked NS 5311 on the bridge back in 2009. That crew got fired for doing that. Also doesn’t help that CSX 4423 was parked on it like 6 months later lol.
So a crew was dismissed for leaving a locomotive on a bridge, that had no restrictions on it? Was the crew that left the other locomotive there several months later dismissed also? And the condition of the bridge was so poor that simply stopping a locomotive on the bridge was enough to compromise it structurally? I'm confused here...

Let me start with a simple question though. Can anyone share a factual source that states that any party has the intent to ship sand by rail? As far as I know it was only ever mentioned in a failed application to the STB regarding a short section of track in Jersey City, and a letter from the attorney for the owner of the subject line south of Lakehurst, stating that reference mentioned above was not factual.
 #1583736  by Bracdude181

@NS1 That bridge, like the others in the area, were in bad shape at the time. The bridge in Lakehurst was already damaged before they parked the engine on it. There’s not many pictures of it but the bridge was bent in the center and was leaning to one side slightly. The deck was fixed and made level with the terrain when they fixed it but they still didn’t fix the pilings, which were put in during the CNJ days and are way smaller than the pilings used to repair the bridges north of there, at least in reference to the bridges that actually were fixed or otherwise worked on.

Don’t know what happened to the crew that parked 4423 on it.

To my knowledge Seashore Lines has not partaken in any sort of rail activity in Jersey City. Clayton is the one with intent to move the sand. Seashore Lines is to bring it to the exchange in Lakehurst, if it does happen.
 #1583761  by JohnFromJersey

NS1 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:05 pm Let me start with a simple question though. Can anyone share a factual source that states that any party has the intent to ship sand by rail? As far as I know it was only ever mentioned in a failed application to the STB regarding a short section of track in Jersey City, and a letter from the attorney for the owner of the subject line south of Lakehurst, stating that reference mentioned above was not factual.
I don't have any sources off the top of my head, it's somewhere amongst this thread or CR on the Southern Secondary that NJSL and Clayton had some sort of use it or lose it grant for rehabbing about 13 miles of track. The scam you are talking about happened like 20 something years ago from what I heard, and if that were the sole case here, there would be no constant efforts on the part of NJSL/Clayton to maintain and upgrade this dormant line.
 #1585298  by Bracdude181

Went to see the progress of the brush clearing yesterday.

Except for one spot near Mt Misery Pasadena Rd and a few dead weeds and very small trees, the line has been cleared completely. It’s so clear at Diamond Road that you can see around the curve and look down the ROW from the road now.
 #1585324  by CR7876

Most Likely Clayton is telling them what to do here. I've been hearing how "trains are going to start running soon" since 2009. I can't get too excited every time they move a stone change a tie or cut a tree down.
 #1585340  by R&DB

Clayton and SJSL have no control over the track North of Union Av Lakehurst. They have to wait for CSAO to reconnect Lakehurst to Lakewood. That work is probably in D&D's grant money.

No STB filing as of 12:45 PM 11/22/2012.
 #1585354  by CR7876

I'm glad you asked this question. This is the question that most people on this thread don't want to hear the answer to. Clearly, there is nothing to move. If there was sand to move, it would be moving.
 #1585478  by R&DB

There will be no sand moving by rail until there is a customer who has contracted for a trainload of sand. We are not talking about truckloads or traincar loads. We are talking about trainloads. No big customers, no trains of covered hoppers.
Additionally there is no track into Clayton's Woodland Plant. The loop was removed in the early 90s. I don't believe they have the machinery to load covered hoppers.