Railroad Forums 

• CMSL Cape May (NJ) Seashore Lines Non-Passenger Operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1569118  by CharlieL

My personal opinion (which is pretty much worthless speculation since I have no knowledge) is if the sand trains run they will be handled by D&D, either by a buyout of CMSL's rights, or by Clayton dropping CMSL and hiring D&D. One less transfer of traffic to contend with.
 #1569135  by JohnFromJersey

CharlieL wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:36 pm My personal opinion (which is pretty much worthless speculation since I have no knowledge) is if the sand trains run they will be handled by D&D, either by a buyout of CMSL's rights, or by Clayton dropping CMSL and hiring D&D. One less transfer of traffic to contend with.
Part of me feels like that, in true Jersey fashion, CMSL and Clayton will continue with their contract. Afterall, hasn't Clayton owned these tracks since the 80's, been paying 13k a year in property tax on them since, and had CMSL contracted to be the operator of them for nearly two decades without anything happening? If what I said is correct, I do expect them to continue with the D&D interchange.

Perhaps one can assume that D&D and CMSL might come into a deal where they can operate on each other's track, or something. Maybe CMSL could pay D&D to use their tracks to move these speculated sand trains. Lets not forget that now that Conrail is not going to be operator of the Southern anymore, the deal they had with 84 Lumber could become null, meaning Lumber 84 might start getting cars again. The TRIT begins right in Lakehurst where CMSL's territory and D&D's future territory meets.
 #1573994  by R&DB

John wrote:
Lets not forget that now that Conrail is not going to be operator of the Southern anymore, the deal they had with 84 Lumber could become null, meaning Lumber 84 might start getting cars again. The TRIT begins right in Lakehurst where CMSL's territory and D&D's future territory meets.
I assume you are referring to Builders General on Rte-37. I don't think that agreement has been in power for quite some time. Also the TRIT is no longer connected at Lakehurst, the switch is missing. But your point about BG is valid and there are a couple other potential rail customers along the TRIT.
 #1574127  by JohnFromJersey

R&DB wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:06 am John wrote:
Lets not forget that now that Conrail is not going to be operator of the Southern anymore, the deal they had with 84 Lumber could become null, meaning Lumber 84 might start getting cars again. The TRIT begins right in Lakehurst where CMSL's territory and D&D's future territory meets.
I assume you are referring to Builders General on Rte-37. I don't think that agreement has been in power for quite some time. Also the TRIT is no longer connected at Lakehurst, the switch is missing. But your point about BG is valid and there are a couple other potential rail customers along the TRIT.
Any future MOM plans would involve the TRIT since I could see the Park and Ride there becoming a large transit operation. There's also been discussion of turning part of Ceiba-Geigy into some sort of transloading operation. Do you know who the other potential customers are? I believe there is a propane facility and some other building company that would be interested.
 #1575423  by Tanker1497

Tanker1497 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:37 am Last nights storm brought down a tree across tracks, just RR West of Union Ave.
While I don't think that the CMSL patrols the 13.2 miles of track on a regularly basics. They do prowel this web page regularly, the tree was removed a few days after my postings.
 #1575427  by Bracdude181

A whole bunch of Conrail workers were inspecting the Union Ave crossing and the bridge under Route 70 yesterday afternoon. Went by last night and it looks no different than it was the week prior.

Tanker does appear to be correct about the tree being gone. Normally they come in and do tree cleanup only once a year...
 #1575434  by Tanker1497

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:05 am A whole bunch of Conrail workers were inspecting the Union Ave crossing and the bridge under Route 70 yesterday afternoon. Went by last night and it looks no different than it was the week prior.

Tanker does appear to be correct about the tree being gone. Normally they come in and do tree cleanup only once a year...
I did post pictures months back of 2 pine trees down accross tracks just RR East of Claytons pit. It was too long of a trip to see if they did anything. Might include that in my ride out to 206 for an event tomorrow.
 #1575657  by Tanker1497

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:11 am @Tanker1497 I checked 3 weeks ago and only saw one tree down but the weather we’ve had recently may have brought down more trees.
I did ride by the tracks all the way to Clayston pit. I had an event on 206 south of Red lion circle. The two trees were cut and removed.