• Clocker Coaches (Converted Sleeoers)

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by MJRuef

Does anyone know the disposition of the string of ex-PRR Converted Sleeper/Coaches sitting in Brunswick, MD?
  by RailVet

Are these the former MARC commuter cars to which you refer?
  by MJRuef

Yes. They operated for a long time as one of the Martinsburg trains, often with a locomotive on each end. They have unusually small windows spaced farther apart than traditional coaches because PRR converted them from slumbercoaches to coaches for NEC use in the sixties. They sit behind the new YM tower on one of the storage tracks. They are heavily graffitied and vandalized, but if cleaned up would make a wonderfully authentic train to have behind a restored GG-1.
  by CarterB

Slumbercoaches??? That would make for an interesting commuter floor configuration, particularly where the singles were. Any photos online??
  by RailVet

A friend with the Washington DC Chapter, NRHS, tells me his group was acquiring one or more of them. As for the remainder, not long ago the Hagerstown Roundhouse Museum newsletter announced that "HRM is in the process of receiving six working cars from MARC." The HRM is said to be interested in running steam excursions out of Hagerstown but it's doubtful NS, CSX or the Winchester & Western (operating the ex-PRR line) will be cooperative. This topic was discussed in another forum:

http://rypn.sunserver.com/forum/viewtop ... &hilit=202

The two old RDCs also stored in Brunswick have reportedly been claimed by the B&O Railroad Museum, which has been in no hurry to move them. Reportedly MARC is interested in unloading all of its old stored cars in Brunswick so it will no longer need to pay CSX track rental fees.
  by Mirai Zikasu

CarterB wrote:Slumbercoaches??? That would make for an interesting commuter floor configuration, particularly where the singles were. Any photos online??
Check out the parlor cars here and here. They were numbered in the 100 series, and I believe I remember reading some time back that they were rebuilt from PRR 10-6 sleepers. I can't cite wherever I read that, but I'm certain that none could have ever been slumbercoaches.
  by CarterB

Just as I suspected, not slumbercoaches. Makes more sense that they are converted 10-6's.
  by MJRuef

Does anyone know of a contact person at MDOT or MARC I could approach to possibly acquire one or more of these cars?
  by mattrains

Hello,

I would also be interested as to whom to contact at MARC about acquiring a few of these coaches.

Thank you

Mat
  by RailVet

I think that, by now, all of the coaches have been spoken for, but I'll look into it and let you know.
  by RailVet

Got the word this afternoon that all of the cars have been spoken for. The only reason they are still on site is because of problems getting them ready to travel.
  by ExCon90

CarterB wrote:Just as I suspected, not slumbercoaches. Makes more sense that they are converted 10-6's.
As I recall, they were converted from 21-roomette cars when it became evident that roomettes weren't selling all that well. Weren't the PRR 21-roomette cars all named for Inns? Someone at MARC told me back when the parlor cars were running that that was the reason they resurrected the Inn names for them (there has to be a website somewhere that can identify what the Inn cars were). On the PRR they ran on a lot of Washington trains as well as on the Clockers; I used to hate getting on one because of the window arrangement -- I always headed for a Congo if there were any on the train.
  by electricron

ExCon90 wrote: As I recall, they were converted from 21-roomette cars when it became evident that roomettes weren't selling all that well. Weren't the PRR 21-roomette cars all named for Inns? Someone at MARC told me back when the parlor cars were running that that was the reason they resurrected the Inn names for them (there has to be a website somewhere that can identify what the Inn cars were). On the PRR they ran on a lot of Washington trains as well as on the Clockers; I used to hate getting on one because of the window arrangement -- I always headed for a Congo if there were any on the train.
Yes! Source http://prr.railfan.net/passenger/GSPEAR ... SL_Inn.htm
Apparently, PRR had 59 class 21R streamline sleeper cars built.