• Cleveland Union Terminal Electric Motors

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by cforssi

:-D Are there still any in existence? I know they went to Harmon to work Grand Central Terminal but have any been preserved and if so, where? Thank you for any info, Charles
  by Otto Vondrak

cforssi wrote::-D Are there still any in existence? I know they went to Harmon to work Grand Central Terminal but have any been preserved and if so, where? Thank you for any info, Charles
P-motors? No, I think you would have heard something by now... :-)

-otto-
  by Otto Vondrak

CarterB wrote:This photo taken in 1974...not sure how much longer they lasted

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 897&nseq=2
Not much longer after that. None survived into Conrail, and FL9s held down most assignments at this point.
  by Tadman

That's a great pic. The P's are one of my favorite motors. I'm a big traction fan, especially of DC catenary-based lines like we have out here. It's interesting that PC kept that one so clean - usually PC passenger power looked absolutely rotten.
  by joseph

Sorry...all the P motors were scrapped. Most GE products had self destructive fires. 4625 burned up at Tarrytown, NY in September 1974 on Amtrak train 49 when I reported for work the next day I was informed of this incident and all remaining p motors were withdrawn from service. They lingered in Harmon until Feburary 1976. I have photos of the 4625 and the 4630 on Penn Central Train LS1 on their way to the scrapper in Cleveland, Oh. I have the number board from the 4625 and the headlight from the 4641.