Railroad Forums 

• Chosen to be an Alternate?????

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#970089  by daddyo210

I recently went to Sheridan Wyoming for Conductor Trainee Interview, I felt the interview went well.
Four days later I get a response from BNSF that I have been chosen as an Alternate for the position and if they decided to call on me it would be within the next six months. Is it just me or does it sound like the old thank you but no thank you letter.
Have any of you BNSF Railroaders heard of being chosen as an alternate?

Any information would be a help.
Thank You
Richard
 #970252  by johnnbea

@daddyo210
Being an alternate means just that. They selected the number they wanted, but they also know that there is a likely possibility that a certain number of them will fall out of screening during pre-hire. At that point, they call the alternates, that have already been selected. When did you interview? Were you the August 4th interview group or were you the end of the month group? And yes, I have known several people that were hired as Alternates.
 #970333  by daddyo210

Johnnbea,
Thank you for your response,
I interviewed on the 29th of August. There were about 60 or 70 men there with 10 positions to be filled.
It is perplexing to me though that Sheridan is hiring so many, or at least doing a lot of recruiting. I was reading some other posts that indicate training was put on hold for the other men that have received an offer and have passed all the medical requirements.
I guess I'll just wait and see what comes of it and in the mean time will continue to submit applications elsewhere for the position. BNSF job board looks bare right about now. I'm currently waiting for the Seattle position to clear and see if I'll be called to interview for that location. The process seems a bit hit and miss for me, I submitted my application for Conductor Trainee position in and around my home town at the end of last month and received the thank you but no thank you responses. It was a real bummer. It would be nice not having to relocate. I'm real lucky though as I have a very supportive wife that will follow me any and everywhere in my quest to gain a real career. Construction in California is at a standstill and is not the career of choice when it comes to steady employment.
Thanks Again
Regards
Daddyo
 #970365  by johnnbea

It was not "on hold" per se, they just won't issue final offers for another week or so. They are reviewing business levels, and will make a final determination. From everything I hear though, that area is absolutely in need of help! So, I'm holding out hope that it will still come to life! In the meantime, I start with CSX on Monday, just in case.