Railroad Forums 

• Chicago Union Station Fire: July 26, 1980

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#46459  by AmtrakFan

I remember reading some where that their was a CUS fire on July 26th, 1980. I am asking this because I would like to learn more about so I've got a Few Questions
1. How did it Start?
2. How did it effect Station Service like Reservations
3. Who was using the Offices in the Station?
4. Was their a full evacuation?
If this isin't in the Right Spot please move it.

AmtrakFan
 #46522  by Gilbert B Norman

I remember the fire all too well insomuch as my Milwaukee Road office was in CUS when it occurred.

The fire to which Mr. Fan refers started Saturday July 26, 1980 in an electrical locker in the Offices surrounding the Great Hall. Unfortunately there was one fatality - a vagrant, but still a human life. By Monday, train service had resumed; the Concourse area was largely unaffected
I was out of town that following Monday and Tuesday. By the time I returned the place had the burnt out odor; the Great Hall had been boarded up. even though our office only had smoke damage (mainly sooty walls) I had one colleague who simply could not work in that environment (so said his doctor, BTW).

Over the next three months, our office was likely relocated some four times. Within two months, there were parts of the building in which "you never knew it happened". However, it took nine monthe to reopen what is known today as the Great Hall. The rebuilding was done meticulously; in fact if not for the rebuilding, the skylights could well remained blacked out as they were required to be so during WWII.

http://www.chicagofirestore.com/p113.html
http://www.chicagofirestore.com/p126.html

#46571  by AmtrakFan

Were all of the MILW Offices Damaged? Where would they relocate Offices also was CUS Closed for a while that day?

AmtrakFan

#46575  by Gilbert B Norman

If you consider smoke damage "damage" then yes (a colleague could not work - and I had a project to do with him).

My office was moved from the first floor, to the seventh, to the fourth.

While I was in New York on business (having gone out the weekend before to visit with family and save my bankrupt road a bit on air transportation), I understand the Station was closed for traffic on the Sunday following.

#46576  by AmtrakFan

Gilbert B Norman wrote:If you consider smoke damage "damage" then yes (a colleague could not work - and I had a project to do with him).

My office was moved from the first floor, to the seventh, to the fourth.

While I was in New York on business (having gone out the weekend before to visit with family and save my bankrupt road a bit on air transportation), I understand the Station was closed for traffic on the Sunday following.
Thank You for your Help Mr. Norman that must of been fun moving a ton. Also I heard the President's office was the 1st to be Repaired? Is this True?

AmtrakFan

#46580  by Gilbert B Norman

How could have you guessed, Mr. Fan?

#46633  by AmtrakFan

I was thinking their could of been more Deaths if it was on a weekday Especially on a Friday. Not trying make anyone mad.

AmtrakFan

#47384  by efin98

You noted in the Amtrak forum that Amtrak was not the major force in the terminal as it is now, was it still privately owned by Milwaukee Road or Metra(was it even around then?)? Did the fire have any impact on the train lines out of the terminal beyond the day of the fire?

Was there any possible contingency plans dusted off in case the terminal would have to be closed for a while like Amtrak and commuter rail trains operating out of a different terminal if possible?
 #47509  by Gilbert B Norman

The premises and related rail facilities commonly known as Chicago Union Station, then as now, is owned by the Chicago Union Station Company(CUSCO). At the time of the 1917 Agreement, which established access for the four roads, ownership was 25% each as noted earlier. Since the PFW&C was a 100% PRR subsidiary, PRR effectively had 50% interest; others 25%. C&A (GM&O) was a tennant from "Day One".

By succession, at the time of the fire, ownership was 50% CR, and 25% each BN and MILW. Today, CUSCO is 100% owned by Amtrak. BNSF (as holder of a purchase of service agreement with METRA) and NICR (a railroad owned by METRA) are tenants. They pay access charges (and do not participate in the ground lease rental income from 10, 120, 222, & 300 S Riverside Plaza) same as did the Chicago & Alton (GM&O predecessor) as determined under the 1917 Agreement.

#95912  by AmtrakFan

joshuahouse wrote:Was the vagrant who died found to be responsible for the fire?
Yes he was I would guess.

#97901  by CNW_4404_Lover

AmtrakFan wrote:
joshuahouse wrote:Was the vagrant who died found to be responsible for the fire?
Yes he was I would guess.
Right! Because all those crazy vagrants breaking into offices and electrical cabinets......

#155935  by Tadman

They're looking for railroad souvineers, just like we do. Know how much a homeless guy would give for some stale slow orders from MILW-West line?

#167016  by AmtrakFan

Tadman wrote:They're looking for railroad souvineers, just like we do. Know how much a homeless guy would give for some stale slow orders from MILW-West line?
The guy was prorably having some mental issues or looking for shelter.