Railroad Forums 

• Chicago - "Embargo Of Sorts"

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1576696  by Gilbert B Norman

I only learned of this development from a WBBM 780/105.9 report airing this morning; it was inevitable:

https://businesshala.com/supply-chain-b ... chokepoint

Fair Use:
Some railroads have restricted container shipments to major Midwestern freight hubs as bottlenecks stem from an influx of inland container imports from the West Coast. Logjam is being prompted by hordes of US retailers and manufacturers to restore inventory as the economy reopens from the Covid-19 lockdown and consumers go back to stores and restaurants in greater numbers.

Container imports into Southern California’s neighboring ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach grew at a record pace this year and delays in logistics operations, from ports to nearby warehouses and deep inland to Chicago, where many thousands of containers are switched each month Come on, speed up. .

“The pandemic and its recovery are like a boulder in a pond,” said Anthony Hatch, a rail transportation analyst and principal at ABH Consulting.
The "cry will be heard" how Precision Railroading (PSR) brought all this about; some will blame the maritime industry for their version of "Precision Sailing". It will be said they retired too many "inefficient" vessels too soon, resulting in their present "anything that floats" market conditions.

Speaking of floating, the m/v Ever Given, whose saga I have been reporting on at its own topic, is scheduled to dock at Rotterdam July 29 0200h GMT. Will that vessel, with its 20K TEU capacity set sail after unloading and loading, or will it need be drydocked and withdrawn from further voyages "indefinitely".

One must wonder if the Worldwide economy, after its unprecedented contraction after the COVID onset during '20, was prepared for the rapid expansion as the COVID concerns amongst the VAXED were relaxed.
 #1576697  by eolesen

What they're not saying is that there is a shortage of truck drivers to deliver said containers.

https://www.joc.com/trucking-logistics/ ... 10519.html

Drayage drivers get paid by the trip, and nobody gets paid to sit in the yard.

The chassis shortage has nothing to do with PSR, but seems to be at the root cause.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk