Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: JamesT4, metraRI

by Tadman

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 7130.story

Long and short: Metra has hired a consultant that can cost up to $225k every six months to help "fix" the system. Some people are not happy.

Personally: I think it's a great idea provided he doesn't wind up with a ten year contract. 6 to 18 months (or $225k to $675k) may seem like a lot, but if he can fix millions of dollars worth of problems, it's worth it. We just cant let this become a permanent position at such rate.
  by justalurker66

"Up to" being the operative words. As long as the billing doesn't hit the maximum I can see the contract being renewed. It does make one wonder what Metra is paying their $252k/year CEO for. So he can outsource guidance from someone else?
As of Aug. 31, according to his invoices, Grimes said he has only charged Metra for 600 hours of work, dating back to April, while he asserts he actually racked up more than 800 hours, costing himself nearly $58,000.

Grimes said his effective hourly rate comes out to about $153. In addition, his rate does not include travel, lodging or expenses. A Denver resident, Grimes says he pays his own ticket to return home every two weeks.
  by jb9152

justalurker66 wrote:"Up to" being the operative words. As long as the billing doesn't hit the maximum I can see the contract being renewed. It does make one wonder what Metra is paying their $252k/year CEO for. So he can outsource guidance from someone else?
As of Aug. 31, according to his invoices, Grimes said he has only charged Metra for 600 hours of work, dating back to April, while he asserts he actually racked up more than 800 hours, costing himself nearly $58,000.

Grimes said his effective hourly rate comes out to about $153. In addition, his rate does not include travel, lodging or expenses. A Denver resident, Grimes says he pays his own ticket to return home every two weeks.
Clifford is not a railroad guys, so I think Grimes is providing that hands-on, on the ground railroading experience that Clifford lacks while he's getting up to speed. That's my sense, anyway.
  by Tadman

I think JB's got it. Say what you will about Pagano's corruption, he was a darn good railroader. A new guy that is a good administrator doesn't necessarily mean he's a good railroader. Bar none, to run a system as busy as Metra, you have to know railroading. Look at the rancor over on the LIRR forum about the gov't appointees that run LIRR and know little about railroading. Sounds like a mess to me.