Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by dc700

What's the deal are they closing the ticket office ? Are they closing the station building ? I went there to buy a ticket and the builing was locked and so was the temporary ticket office.
  by mkm4

dc700 wrote:What's the deal are they closing the ticket office ? Are they closing the station building ? I went there to buy a ticket and the builing was locked and so was the temporary ticket office.
When did you go? It's not open all day.
Hours:
Mon - Fri: 6:30 AM to 1:30 PM, lunch 11:50 AM - 12:10 PM
Closed on weekends

CHAPPAQUA Station Info
  by pnaw10

mkm4 wrote:When did you go? It's not open all day.
Might be worth noting similar circumstances at many other ticket offices. Most intermediate stations with a real, live person selling tickets only have the window open for the AM rush and early afternoon, when ridership into the city is highest. Most of these have hours similar to Chappaqua, opening around 6AM, closing around 1PM. And most of them are closed on the weekend. Considering they also close for lunch hour, I assume each station has just one person operating the window... no part-time help to keep the window open during lunch or on weekends.

Only major stations, such as GCT, 125th Street, Croton-Harmon, Poughkeepsie, White Plains and New Haven have their ticket windows open later. GCT's windows are open until 1AM, while the others are open until about 8 or 10PM.

Sadly, whether it's within a few years or several years, I suspect we'll eventually see the end of manned ticket windows. I believe TVM's are in place at every single station, allowing riders at ALL stations -- even ones that have always been unmanned -- to purchase tickets prior to boarding. As lawmakers continue their quest to "trim the fat" every year at budget time, and as technology is more widely accepted by the public, I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see ticket windows fade into history, as ticket sellers are replaced by machines. It would be a shame, but given today's corporate culture, I fully expect it to happen sooner or later... unless the MTA somehow feels the need to keep ticket window operators around for security reasons, much as subway stations still have token booth clerks despite the rows and rows of MetroCard machines.

by Nester

I agree that the "era" of ticket agents is coming to an end. You're example about the subway system is incorrect, though. They are no longer booth clerks -- they are "station agents". The TA plans on eventually turning most, if not all of them into Customer Service Reps who are not tied to the booth.

Nester
  by dc700

mkm4 wrote:
dc700 wrote:What's the deal are they closing the ticket office ? Are they closing the station building ? I went there to buy a ticket and the builing was locked and so was the temporary ticket office.
When did you go? It's not open all day.
Hours:
Mon - Fri: 6:30 AM to 1:30 PM, lunch 11:50 AM - 12:10 PM
Closed on weekends

CHAPPAQUA Station Info
why is thier a temporary ticket office ?
Are they closing the one in the station building ?
  by Kurt

the station just finished a year long refurbishment. I believe the Town of Chappaqua owns the building, and had gotten a grant to restore the building to its original appearance.

by pnaw10

Nester wrote:Your example about the subway system is incorrect, though. They are no longer booth clerks -- they are "station agents".
You know what, I remember reading about that somewhere but I forgot about it. I stand corrected... thanks!
  by fordhamroad

It is nice you still have a ticket agent, if only with the restricted hours. Metro North spent nearly 4 million $$ renovating the Pelham Station area and building, landscaped everything, then proceeded to shut down the ticket office and rent the space to a real estate business and a coffee shop. The coffee shop has crowded out half the waiting room. The bathrooms were torn out, and replaced by a one holer, to serve all. Try getting 3-4 people in there when the train is approaching. Regress in the name of progress. Recently they have had crime problems in Pelham, stalking commuters leaving the station area. I hope Metro North treats you Chappaquarians better than they did the Pelhamites.
Best wishes,

Roger