Railroad Forums 

• Chambersburg, PA

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1293323  by CN9634

Hello all,

I'm going to Chambersburg this week for a final interview with a company down there, so the possibility exists I may have to relocate to the area. In terms of railroading, I have a general idea of what's down there, but does anyone have any advice, specific info, or recommendations regarding observing railroads down there? My job would bea M-F gig so I would have weekends open to roam.

Also, planning on hitting Altoona on the ride back the Friday.

Charles
 #1301794  by Doug4sails

Jost found this post!

I grew up in Chambersburg although I haven't lived there for 50 years.

In the pre-Civil war period the Cumberland Valley RR ran to Harrisburg while the Franklin RR ran south to Hagerstown. They met where they crossed King St.

The CV roundhouse is still there off Grant. The Public Opinion (Newspaper) building on 3rd. St. is the former station. About 1910 the line was grade-separated and the extensive yards became a stub end. There was an industrial track to Wilson College along Park Ave. Also a connection to the Chambersburg Engineering Co. (Now Gaumer Truck Chasis) on Derbyshire St. There is also the old Mercersburg branch leaving the main south of town and the Mont Alto branch leaving the main just south of Scotland, PA. Plenty more...

The Western MD also ran through town crossing the CV near CECo and Wayne Ave on an overpass. Ceco also had a WM connection. Part of the WM is now a rail-trail through town.

Trinity Lutheran church used to have an engraving of town showing the RRs around the Civil War hanging on the wall in their back hall.

Lots to see in the area and if you have weekends free the CV bridge over the Susquehanna still exists, EBT is an easy day trip. Even Strasburg is possible as a day trip. Washington, DC is only 2 hours away. Great place to live and work, GOOD LUCK, hope you get the job.