Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by NS VIA FAN

Trainplanner wrote:I'll be travelling on The Ocean in September 2012. Does anyone have recent experience in regard to how late The Ocean usually can be (outside of a more serious incidents)on its westbound run from Halifax to Drummondville. Many thanks Graeme from Melbourne Australia.
The Ocean generally runs on time. What will delay it are the 2 or 3 stops required at a single station to position cars when it is running combined with the Gaspe train. This usually occurs during the summer months (July & August) when the train can be quite long.

Also during the winter, weather can have an effect on the schedule.

So in September you should be OK but still allow for unforeseen circumstances.
  by Trainplanner

Thank you very much for that advice. Could you tell me the name of the Junction Station where the line to Quebec City and the line to Halifax meet please. Regards Graeme - Melbourne Australia.
  by CarterB

I believe the junction is at Matapédia, QC
  by NS VIA FAN

Trainplanner wrote:Thank you very much for that advice. Could you tell me the name of the Junction Station where the line to Quebec City and the line to Halifax meet please. Regards Graeme - Melbourne Australia.
That would be West Junction.......just west of Joffre Yard on the line from Halifax and Charny on the line from Quebec City. The westbound Ocean pulls through West Junction and out onto the Chaudiere River Bridge then backs into Charny Station.

Try this link:

http://g.co/maps/ycwwj
  by Trainplanner

Thanks everyone for your assistance. Graeme from Melbourne
  by Highball

On the topic of the Chaleur / Ocean, I was checking departure times from Riviere-du-Loup to Montreal for December 27th and a time of 2:20 am came up, from the VIA webpage, with a 7:55 am arrival in Montreal.

I had known the Ocean's arrival usually to be around 9 am and briefly wondered as to the time change......then I noticed the schedule of the Chaleur is posted for the above date.........Train # 617. From Moncton on Dec. 26th, The Ocean is showing many of the Cabins in Sleeper Class to be sold out, along with supersaver fares in economy.
  by Tadman

Trainplanner, I'm envious. I haven't had a good long-distance train ride in over a year, with none scheduled. Enjoy your trip!