Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by byte

The connector, as built, was double tracked. When it was retired from regular service, they took out one track (actually it was more like half of each track, the single track that remained started on the left but ended on the right) and replaced the other with a walkway. When it was rebuilt, two tracks were installed once again. I'd imagine they want to put a station at the United Center ASAP, but will probably wait on it to make sure the service can survive without it. If for some reason it flopped and the station was already built, it'd be a pretty big waste of money because they probably wouldn't use it.

by F40CFan

They not only relaid track, they replaced almost the entire elevated structure. See the following link for lots of info and pictures.

http://www.chicago-l.org/operations/lines/paulina.html

by MACTRAXX

Guys: As usual Graham Garfield covers it all! His section on the Paulina Connection has lots of info and pics. Where is the United Center located and how physically close to the line is it? I noticed a company that is called Stadium Parking-I realize the Chicago Stadium was also nearby-has it been torn down as I think it was? It is good to see that this strategic CTA line will be a revenue line again! MACTRAXX

by Irish Chieftain

The Pink Line, eh? There's some disagreement over how worthy that is. A snippet from the article:
The CTA board picked pink from among the top three choices of more than 600 Chicago-area students who entered an agency contest to name the line. While the board chose pink over silver and gold, it wasn't necessarily the favorite of people who ride the line.

"I don't think so," said Joseph Santoyo, 18, as he stood at the entrance of the Cermak branch's California stop on the border of Little Village and Lawndale. "Let's take the Pink Line? No."

"They should rename it somewhere else," he added, saying the neighborhood is too tough to have a Pink Line running through it. "I don't think the neighborhood will like it."

by orangeline

I saw this on the local news in Durham, North Carolina last night. The newscaster announced the name with a smirk on his face. I'm surprised he didn't extend his pinky (pardon the pun!) as he said the name!

by benltrain

PINK? i thought this was an april fools joke! guess every other color is taken...

EDIT: how about silver? or black?

will this have to come with a hip, feminine advertising campaign for the P.C.?

by M&Eman

Considering the racial makeup of this line, I don't think the Black Line would be an appropriate name. This might provoke racial tension. It would be the same thing if you called the Skokie Swift the White Line.

by JamesT4

Here is the link to the brochure for the New CTA Pink Line, and the west side reroutes.

Bus Routes begin June 18th

Rail Routes change June 25th

http://www.transitchicago.com/downloads ... ervice.pdf

It is printed in english, spanish, and polish.

by orangeline

Today I was downtown and passed the Quincy L station on Wells St and noticed the following: there were signs for the Brown, Orange and Purple lines on the awning covering the stairs, but on the stairs themselves were smaller signs showing trains to Kimball (Brown), Midway (Orange) and 54/Cermak (Pink), but no Linden (Purple). The shade of pink chosen to represent the new L line is actually kind of nice looking, not too bright and not too light. I don't think I'll mind it at all!

by RMadisonWI

Speaking of signs on stairs, at the Clinton/Lake station, there was a pink 54/Cermak sign on the stairs leading to the INBOUND platform. That was quickly replaced (unfortunately, too quickly, as I was unable to get a photo) with pink "Loop" signs.

by F40CFan

FYI the marker lights for the new service are yellow and red, with yellow being over the motorman's cab. I was curious as to what they would be, because the old Douglas Pk. route's green and green is also used by the Jackson Pk.-Lake routing.

With 4 car trains being run with 2600s and 2200s, 2200s lead trains half the time. Enjoy it until they get displaced by the new rolling bowling alleys.

by Tadman

I noticed the 2200/2600 combo trains today. Why aren't trains in solid makeups or for that matter, why aren't the 2200's confined to one line? As for those darn rolling bowling alleys, I'm glad I'm moving to KC when I do - I enjoy my seat.

by BMT Standard

Tadman wrote:I noticed the 2200/2600 combo trains today. Why aren't trains in solid makeups or for that matter, why aren't the 2200's confined to one line? As for those darn rolling bowling alleys, I'm glad I'm moving to KC when I do - I enjoy my seat.
With their "blinker" doors, the 2200s are not ADA compliant, so can only be used in trains mixed with 2400 or later series cars.

by benltrain

Any Pink line pics?