Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Rail4Life

I was reading an article that indictated that CDOT was looking to purchase 12 Locomotive. Will GE RESTART the Genesis Line to accomodate them with GEVO Prime Movers. Can Alstom and Motive Power Industries build a Dual Mode Loco as reliable as the P32ACDM.

by Nasadowsk

1) No
2) No

1) Design/build/test a new locomotive for a 12 unit order!?!? Even GE isn't that desperate.

2) Almost can't even make a working diesel or electric. MPI? They're a joke.

by Rail4Life

I guess that they had better reincarnate the FL9's or call Bombardier. Maybe they'll have better luck that Amtrak.

by DutchRailnut

CDOT has a request for 6 Dual mode units in this months Railway Age. with two options of 5 locomotives after first order.
Their asking who would be willing to built 6 units and give them a price.
(tong in cheek) they will be painted NYC color since they will spend most of their time on Hudson line :wink: :wink:

by AmtrakPhill629

Buy 6 DM30's from LIRR

by Nester

AmtrakPhill629 wrote:Buy 6 DM30's from LIRR
There's crazy and then there's stupid. GM didn't want to make them in the first place -- why would someone else want an underpowered, overweight dual-mode that's USED and the potential seller couldn't spare even if they wanted to?

Nester

by Nasadowsk

Used? Last I heard a few were in dead storage at MP....

Unless you mean used like a used car. Hey, the worst new cars make even worse used cars ;)

by Nester

Nasadowsk wrote:Used? Last I heard a few were in dead storage at MP....

Unless you mean used like a used car. Hey, the worst new cars make even worse used cars ;)
Yes, I believe there are a few "parts" locomotives in MP these days.

I meant used as in used vehicle.

GM is having problems honoring the warranty (I'll spare us all the Super Steel story -- you know it, and it's off-topic), and there is no way that they would (of sound mind) give another warranty on that horrible locomotive.

Nester

by DutchRailnut

DM30 and DE30 will not work with Bombardier car or any other standard cars. The LIRR fleet has a different control system and can not mate with 27 point MU jumpers used in rest of USA.

by Clean Cab

It could happen. Smaller builders like MPI (Motive Power Industries) could build 6 to 12 units, but they'd probably be rebulit, or reconfigured units. No large bulder like GE or Alstohm (sp?) would touch an order of less than 20 units.