Railroad Forums 

• Cazenovia Tunnel - Chenango Branch

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#617024  by lvrr325

I figured the reason for the last end of line change, to the current stub track, was in large part due to the construction of I-690 and I-481, you can see the old ROW along the north side of the Bridge Street exit up to where the highway obliterates it, and that I know of there never was an overpass for 481 either.
 #617151  by lvrr325

You might want to edit that to show it was the LV Elmira & Cortland branch, formerly the Elmira, Cortland & Northern. I didn't have much trouble following the LV ROW on Live Local, although it's apparent it's been broken up into private hands in this stretch. (I also found a tax map online that showed the original constructing RR's name for part of the West Shore branch, over towards Georgetown).

According to the Existing Stations page, the West Shore station for Rippleton still exists - it appeared to have been relocated to a back yard to be used as a garage - size-wise it was about enough for one car -
 #673231  by Russatcaz

JohnTaibi is publishing a book on the S&CV. It will be out in July. Over 200 pages. Over 300 photographs. He has gathered a huge trove of images from local collections and from the National Archives. Included are photos of the stone brick two stall roundhouse at Earlville. I have copies of the photos but am unable to distribute them until the book is published. Members of the O&W Historical Society will receive the book as their annuel publication. Alimited number of hardcover copies will be availbale for sale. If you have not checked Chenagobranch.com lately John has contributed a number of period photos which are being used in the book.
 #717065  by chen1234

The Tunnel is still passable at this point, although the approach to the portals on both ends is rather muddy. It was very interesting to see most of the railroad ties are still in place on the east and west ends of the tunnel, and the fact that the stone portions inside of the tunnel appear almost in pristine condition, not to mention the "1912" inscribed on the eastern portal is still plain as day.

If you plan to make the excursion, bring a bright flashlight, be prepared to climb over lots of fallen timbers/rocks, and make sure your boots come up to at least your knees, as there is water about 1.5 feet deep for about 15-20 feet on the west portal side of the tunnel, and one section of thick mud toward the middle. Also, if moving east to west, after you pass the gorge, go up onto the south ledge and follow the gorge rim until you hit a pactch of goldenrod, there is a 4-wheeler path there that will take you right back to Rt. 92.

If you dig around in the gorge on the west end there's a good chance to recover some old spikes too!
 #832468  by jrs363

I am planning a road trip in the next few weeks and would like to photograph some of the remaining stations in Madison County. Doers anyone have any more detailed addresses , other than what is on http://ny.existingstations.com

Thanks,

John
 #914146  by jrs363

It think I read that it was on Private property,, anyone interested in organizing a little tour of what is left of the Chenango Branch some time in May?