Railroad Forums 

• Carfloat Test Run successful, Embargo Lifted, RTS

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1122919  by BEDT 14

Gentlemen,

It is with great pride that I announce that NYNJ Rail is anticipating return to revenue service after Christmas. This information comes from highly placed internal sources at NYNJ Rail.

On 20 December 2012, test runs of freight cars (empty gondolas) using the recently relocated "Bush 2" float bridge at Greenville, NJ, and were a success. This pontoon plate girder float bridge is now officially called the "Greenville Pontoon Bridge".

As such, NYNJ administrative officials lifted the embargo, and revenue movements are scheduled for after Christmas.

This means, ONLY 52 days elapsed from Hurricane Sandy to the successful operation. As it has been related to me via my internal source, many employees worked round the clock, and through Thanksgiving to achieve this.

I have been fortunate to have been forwarded over 60 images of the construction and carfloat test, and they can be seen here:

http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloc ... #52%20Days

Fondest regards for the Holidays, and a Healthy & Happy New Year

Phil
 #1123050  by Backshophoss

Some of the last remaining "elements" of the PRR legacy may have been lost,but with the rebuilding of greenville with
a"spare" float bridge from the NY side,keeps a route for freight open and a tradition of railroading alive.
While NYNJ was the last rail service to return from Sandy's destruction, 52 days is still a record for a project
this massive(A 1-2 year rebuild normally).
A nice X-mas present for Metro NY area freight,a "WELL DONE" to the PA to get it done.
 #1144115  by JoeRailRoad

BEDT 14 wrote:Gentlemen,

It is with great pride that I announce that NYNJ Rail is anticipating return to revenue service after Christmas. This information comes from highly placed internal sources at NYNJ Rail.

On 20 December 2012, test runs of freight cars (empty gondolas) using the recently relocated "Bush 2" float bridge at Greenville, NJ, and were a success. This pontoon plate girder float bridge is now officially called the "Greenville Pontoon Bridge".

As such, NYNJ administrative officials lifted the embargo, and revenue movements are scheduled for after Christmas.

This means, ONLY 52 days elapsed from Hurricane Sandy to the successful operation. As it has been related to me via my internal source, many employees worked round the clock, and through Thanksgiving to achieve this.

I have been fortunate to have been forwarded over 60 images of the construction and carfloat test, and they can be seen here:

http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloc ... #52%20Days

Fondest regards for the Holidays, and a Healthy & Happy New Year

Phil
Any information on the new electric float bridge that NYNJ Rail is installing next to the pontoon float bridge?

Joe
 #1245780  by freightguy

This week NYNJ is supposed to go to the newly expanded trackage north of Bush terminal. The track they have expanded past Plywood Specialties. I guess closer to the South Brooklyn Railway interchange should see its first cars. SIMS metals is supposedly going to be shipping gons of scrap out of the new marine terminal in the 30s by 1st and 2nd Avenue.